Sniffycrab's Bizarre Bazaar

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Sniffycrab's Bizarre Bazaar

Post by sniffycrab »

Need to whip up some generic weapons or your Fantasy goons? No problem! Step into the Bizarre Bazaar. Each 'weapon' is listed as an attack with perks, flaws, and a brief description.

Mace
Armor Piercing (+5); Weapon (-5)
A blunt weapon that delivers force through armor.

Ax
Effective (+5); Weapon (-5)
A weighted blade that delivers extra force.

Sword
Accurate (+5); Weapon (-5)
A balanced blade good for striking.

Spear
Reach (+5); Weapon (-5)
A long staff with bladed tip. It is good for keeping attackers at by.

Composite Bow
Ranged, Strength-Powered (+5); Weapon (-5)
A bow that transfers the archer's strength to their attacks.

Crossbow
Armor Piercing (+5); Effective x2 (+10); Ranged (0); Activation (-10); Weapon (-5)
A slow weapon that packs a wallop and can punch through armor.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Sniffycrab's Bizarre Bazaar

Post by Chris Brady »

If it's OK, I'll post a couple of my ideas for this (as I'm currently running a Uresia campaign, which is Fantasy based)

Two handed Sword
Accurate (+5), Effective (+5), Requirement: Both hands on weapon (-5), Weapon (-5)

In fact, two handed maces (like massive hammers) would also use Effective and my Requirement. Same deal with two handed battle axe.
Last edited by Chris Brady on Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

I like it. Requirement: Both hands on weapon (-5) is both simple yet effective.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Random trivia, the Elaborate Gestures Flaw used to be Empty Hands, meaning both hands needed to be free to use the Ability. I changed the name so it could be more broadly applied...but the intent is the same.

Anyway, fun stuff! It’s not that dissimilar from how I’m handling weapons in my own fantasy campaign notes.

Something to think about: I’m not overly familiar with the actual skill behind archery, but while I think you can argue that it requires a certain amount of strength to draw a bow properly, I’m not sure if additional levels of Strong beyond that point should actually add to damage. Perhaps a different Flaw (Requirement: Cannot Have Weak) or something similar would be a better choice.

Or I could be totally wrong. Again, I’m not exactly a bow and arrow expert, and it’s not like straight logic applies to anime or RPGs.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Bows have a 'draw wieght', the typical hunting short bow (which is any bow shorter than the wielder, yeah you can have 5 foot 'short bows') has a draw of about 40 to 65lbs. for a reasonably skilled/trained archer.

So most characters in a fantasy anime game don't need Strength to actually pull a bow string, and frankly, the average 60lbs. bow will kill most animals in a single shot.

I took Archery when I was younger, as did my little brother who also trained a couple of years ago with an Olympic hopeful (I'm not sure what happened with her.)
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Clay wrote:Random trivia, the Elaborate Gestures Flaw used to be Empty Hands, meaning both hands needed to be free to use the Ability. I changed the name so it could be more broadly applied...but the intent is the same.

Anyway, fun stuff! It’s not that dissimilar from how I’m handling weapons in my own fantasy campaign notes.
I considered using elaborate gestures for two handed weapons with that logic, but it don't just sound right.

Anyways we got more entries for the bizarre bazaar. This time Animal Companions!

Trusty Steed Companion +1
+1 Intutive
+3 Strong
+2 Quick
-2 Awkward Size (Horses Are Big)
-3 Mute (Horses Don't talk)

Health 20/20
Endurance 20/20
Attack Kick to hit 2 dx 4
Description: The trusty steed of the fantasy hero. Unlike most companions, the horse may be ridden like a vehicle by using the character's pilot ability. Keep in mind the scale rules. Any horseback charging type attacks may use the Horse's strength instead of the character's strength. Knightly type steeds may have special horse armor called barding (armored ability) and be iron willed.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Hounds Minion +2 (or as high as you want)
+1 Attack (teeth)
+2 Heightened Sense (Smell)
+1 Quick
-1 Awkward Size (Small)
-2 Mute

Health 10/10
Endurance 10/10
defense 3
Attacks
Bite to hit 2 dx 2
Gang up Maul to hit 2 dx 2 overwhelm +15 Assisted -15
Description: A pack of hounds popular for hunting foxes and fugitives. Hounds may add their Heightened Sense Smell dice to any tracking or search rolls that involve scent. Individually they pose little threat, but fighting a pack at once can be terrifying.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Updated the two handed weapons list, I want to post this for review:

Great Sword
Accurate (+5), Effective (+5), Requirement: Both hands on weapon (-5), Weapon (-5)
A basic Two handed Sword, straight edged or curved, dual edged or single, typically anywhere from 4-7 feet in length, designed for wide slashes and crowd control.

Great Axe
Effective x2 (+10), Requirement: Both hands on weapon (-5), Weapon (-5)
A massive axe used by strong men and women, typically has a long haft and huge blade. Often adds Unwieldy as part of it's list, simply because the head is typically very heavy.

Maul
Armour Piercing (+5) Effective (+5); Requirement: Both hands on weapon (-5), Weapon (-5)
A large hammer, often weighing in at a walloping 10lbs. With a long haft and typically stone head, it tends to crush everything it hits. Another candidate for Unwieldy Flaw.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

It looks good Chris Brady.

I'm thinking of adding some non fantasy stuff to the Bazaar to keep thing fresh. Kind of on the fence, what you guys think?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Probably best to keep the whole Fantasy theme for this particular topic. For more modern weaponry, probably be best to put up a kind of "Contemporary Armory" or "Super Science Emporium" in separate threads. But that's just me.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Now that Sabersonic mentions it, I agree. The title sounds like an old fashioned store, you know?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Well considering these two videos of unusual swordsmanship, would it be prudent to make them part of a Sword Gear's Alternate Attack List or put them under a separate "Improvised Attacks" list?
Pommel Throw a.k.a. How to End him Rightly
Spear-style Sword Throw
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

1. The 'weapons' we are listing are just attack entries not gear.

2. I would just make an attack entry or let the player make an attack entry. But to be honest the pommel throwing bit is just rubbish. Unless the sword is custom made for the pommel to come off and be thrown it would take to long to unscrew as the video said. Here is an example entry for Sword Throw.

Sword Throw
Ranged, Strength-Powered (+5); Weapon (-5);Unique Flaw (-?): Disarmed

Unique Flaw (-?):Disarmed: You tossed your weapon away. You may not use it until you pick it back up as if the opponent struck you with a Disarming Perk.
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

sniffycrab wrote:Unique Flaw (-?):Disarmed: You tossed your weapon away. You may not use it until you pick it back up as if the opponent struck you with a Disarming Perk.
ToQ-6gou! ToQ-6gou!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

You lost me cassius335. Is that message approval or scorn?