Attack levels?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Luo
Shelled Plebeian

Attack levels?

Post by Luo »

In ability perks and flaws it will sometimes talk about attack levels. Such as in Blinding it says that the the effect will wear off after a number of rounds equal to the Level of the attack. How do you figure out the level of the attack? Is it the DX or something else?
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Attack levels?

Post by Zealot Vedas »

I believe it refers to the number of ranks you have in the Attack ability. I'm not 100% on that though, so you may wish for a second opinion.
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Zealot Vedas is correct. For Blinding it lasts a number of rounds in the Attack Ability a character has.

For example, if Ninja Ned with Attack 3 hits you with a blinding attack, like sand to the eyes, the blinding effect would last 3 rounds.
Luo
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Luo »

Cool, thanks. that clears some stuff up.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

In general, “Level” can only refer to your rank in an Ability or Weakness, e.g., +1 to +5 or -1 to -3.
ole_m
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ole_m »

Sorry to dig out this old thread.

So the "attack level" being the level of the "attack skill" implies that without the attack skill you cannot use any special effects like blinding at all?
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Blobathehutt »

That is what it seems to say. If this is a problem you could always just rule that their is always a minimum effect of 1 turn or that it is 1 turn + your attack level.
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

The game assumes most characters are going to have +1 Attack or a similar Ability if you plan on doing any fighting worthy of a Perk or Flaw. But it is a small loophole that, as written, without one these Perks have no effect.

Please assume they last one round at minimum.