Creating Attacks (Idiot Newbie Question)

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

VF1SValkyrie
Shelled Plebeian

Creating Attacks (Idiot Newbie Question)

Post by VF1SValkyrie »

I'm sure this is a simple answer and I'm just missing it somewhere.

When creating an attack, (Auren's Orion attack for example), how does one calculate how many base dice the player should roll?

Continuing using Orion, the roll says 5 dice on the character sheet, but for the life of me I can't figure out where that number comes from. I know for an attack the player is supposed to roll 2 dice, but where do the other 3 come from?

Thank you for the help in advance.
Yalborap
Shelled Plebeian

Re: Creating Attacks (Idiot Newbie Question)

Post by Yalborap »

Auren specifically has +3 in Combat Expert, which is the main skill that lets you add dice to all your attack rolls. Even if he was barehanded, he'd in theory get the +3.
Cedict
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Cedict »

Combat expert states that it applies when you are trying to be flashy or show off, i have only been allowing it on attacks that do more than just a basic strike, but i am new to this too and may be doing this wrong.
Accept the things you cannot change. Have the courage to change the things you can; And, have the wisdom to know the difference.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Combat Expert adds to ANY Attack Roll. It’s just that you can also add it to, say, doing a martial arts demonstration to impress an audience. That’s all it means with the “showing off."
ludwig5
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ludwig5 »

l'm a newbye too and l have probably a stupid question:if l create an attack with for example accurate and multiple target do i have to spend the full endurance cost if l use it aganist a single opponent
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Yes, Ludwig.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
ludwig5
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ludwig5 »

thank you
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

If you don’t want to be penalized for using a Multiple Targets Ability against a single target, just create a duplicate single-target version of the Attack. There’s no limit on how many you can have, so there’s not much reason not to.
blaster219
Shelled Plebeian

Post by blaster219 »

Is there anything in the rules to stop players creating attacks on the fly to add to their suite if they don't quite have one that covers the situation?
"Heroes get shot, stabbed, burned, bludgeoned, poisoned, infected, disintegrated, irradiated, electrocuted, exposed to vacuum and fall from great heights. Being a hero is a tough job."
- Alternity GMG, Chapter 6 (Damage and Injury)
Lord Specineff13
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Lord Specineff13 »

Nothing in the rules itself, but I would be ready to veto any attacks made up on the fly.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

blaster219 wrote:Is there anything in the rules to stop players creating attacks on the fly to add to their suite if they don't quite have one that covers the situation?
They have a modifying your attacks rule. But It can't be too drastic.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

There’s nothing explicitly forbidding creating new attacks on the fly, but doing so too often can result in two problems: 1) Hand-picking a slew of perks and flaws can take time and interrupt the flow of the game 2) Players of a certain mindset can take advantage of this to tailor a supremely effective attack for every situation.

Sitting around for 5 minutes at a time while a player perfects an Armor Piercing attack for every Armored opponent is not ideal. But letting a martial artist quickly spend 10 extra endurance to make a Disarming strike to unarm an opponent is no big deal.
Chaosmancer
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Chaosmancer »

I was thinking about creating attacks on the fly and wondered if a flat endurance cost (in addition) might work as a deterrent for over use.

I was thinking 5 endurance to be able to make up an attack, as well as it making some thematic sense. This makes it more expensive to do things on the fly, representing to me the lack of preparation a character has in preforming this type of move. This would be separate from cost of the attack as well, so even if they got -5 from flaws it would still cost 5.

Does this seem reasonable or too harsh (I'll admit I'm still going over the rulebook so I don't have a solid grasp of what all perks and flaws do yet)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

That seems perfectly plausible to me. Five Endurance is a cost that’s enough to give pause but not enough to deter creativity should the situation warrant it. For the goal you’re trying to achieve, I like it!