Hi there! I'm new and I have questions.

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Hi there! I'm new and I have questions.

Post by cassius335 »

Yalborap wrote:I have another question!

Super modes for transforming heroes. How might you achieve them? Double-stacked transformations seems like an answer, but that way also lies madness. Thoughts?
I'd quite like an answer on that one myself. It's bad enough for most Sentai. Then people try to model the Neo-Heisei Kamen Riders and their brains explode.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

cassius335 wrote:
Yalborap wrote:I have another question!

Super modes for transforming heroes. How might you achieve them? Double-stacked transformations seems like an answer, but that way also lies madness. Thoughts?
I'd quite like an answer on that one myself. It's bad enough for most Sentai. Then people try to model the Neo-Heisei Kamen Riders and their brains explode.
My instinct is to use Miho as reference and, if you are doing tokusatsu, hand-wave the form changes as free actions that don't necessarily convey benefits.

Funny thing is that from a toku standpoint, Miho is Blue Buster.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Yalborap
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Yalborap »

Speaking of Go-Busters, you reminded me of another question!

Super speed. How would you handle it? My gut says a refluffing of Time Freeze, but I could be way off. Thoughts?
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Yalborap wrote:Speaking of Go-Busters, you reminded me of another question!

Super speed. How would you handle it? My gut says a refluffing of Time Freeze, but I could be way off. Thoughts?
Looking up Time Freeze...yeah, looks like that'd work fine...
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Yalborap wrote:Speaking of Go-Busters
While we're here, I'd argue chickens are a level 3 Accidental Transformation 8)
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Joe_Mello wrote:
Yalborap wrote:Speaking of Go-Busters
While we're here, I'd argue chickens are a level 3 Accidental Transformation 8)
Simpler than that: Red Buster would have Level 3 Fear. Blue Buster would likely be the same "Transformation with Trigger" setup Miho uses. Yellow Buster would be... Dependency (sweets), I think?
Wristan
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Wristan »

So i have some question on OVA that I'm kinda not grasping the complete picture, so i could use some help with understanding it.

So i guess one item I see is that "Boorish" is not in the weakness area yet it's on Shou's character sheet, so was this left out by accident? So the next question is i guess the TV rating in the right hand lower corner of the character sheet, does it serve any meaning, or is it just some how to rate the adventure the characters will be in?

So i guess the final thing that is bothering me is how combat works, and no i haven't attempted to play a game yet, because i want to sorta have an idea how everything works before doing so.

So i read the example in combat i start to get it then it just doesn't come completely together for me. So i read this, "Tch. A miss was most unfortunate. Now, Shou has given me
an attack in turn with a result of 10. I’m not quite as evasive as the annoyingly chipper ninja, and my 6 dice(123446) result only in 8.
Shou’s DX is 3 (1 + 2 from his Attack Ability). Since the difference between our
rolls is 2, I take six points of damage to my Health. Barely a scratch".

So the damage is 3x2=6, but I'm just not seeing it broken down enough to figure out how the Multiplier comes in to play. So is the DX meaning (D=# then X=multiplier) am i over analyzing this? The difference in rolls i get that's the 10-8=2. This isn't my first time playing Role playing games i started when i was 12 with Advance Dungeons and Dragons played all the way up to 3.5, then went to pathfinder. So I'm not new to understanding rules, Just maybe the way it's worded keeps throwing me off. Also could be every time i get time to look over it I'm just tired too.

Anyway any help would greatly be appreciated. Also i don't post a lot to forums so i get a little nerves about the responses I'll get back. Though i really want to get this game down and run it for our group and look forward when the books get here.
CursedEmbrace
Worthy Tortoise

Post by CursedEmbrace »

So i guess one item I see is that "Boorish" is not in the weakness area yet it's on Shou's character sheet, so was this left out by accident?
The Boorish weakness became the Rude weakness, so it's probably just an error that slipped through, hopefully Clay can correct it and update the pdf at some point in the future.
So the next question is i guess the TV rating in the right hand lower corner of the character sheet, does it serve any meaning, or is it just some how to rate the adventure the characters will be in?
Threat Value can be used to plan encounters for a party to get an approximate idea of difficulty, there's slightly more info on encounter planning around Threat Value elsewhere in the book in the GM area or some such.
Question about damage calculation
Well, basically when an attack is made the attacker rolls their attack dice and defender their defence, you compare the highest matching numbers the two sides rolled then, if the attacker won they deal damage equal to the difference between their roll and the defenders multiplied by the damage multiplier (or DX) of the attack / skill they used, which in the example's case was 3 and since the attack won by 2 the defender took 6 damage.

Hope that helped.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yalborap wrote:I have a new, entirely unrelated question.

The OVA dice mechanic, with the matching dice and such. I know the dedicated app is in the future, but are there any dice rolling apps or sites that you guys know of now that can do something similar for at least the dice rolling?
Not quite the answer you’re hoping for, but any script you can make show the individual dice of a roll will let you do the “OVA math” yourself but still have impartial random numbers.
MacLeod wrote:I'm going to ask a question in your thread because my question isn't big enough to warrant its own thread! :D

Going Invisible... how does it work? Does it take an action to activate? Can it be instantly activated at any moment, even outside your turn? If someone stabs you while you are invisible... do you stay invisible?
The cop-out answer is “it works however you want it to work.” But my personal take is that no, it doesn’t take an action, happens pretty instaneously, and being injured has no effect on being invisible unless you want to take some artistic license and say that you leave blood trails despite being invisible and the like.
Yalborap wrote:Speaking of Go-Busters, you reminded me of another question!

That works. You can also simply give that character Scale Advantages when he decides to go into super speed mode. Works to his advantage sometimes (foot race) and less so other times (stopping on a dime to not go off that drop off that suddenly appeared.)

As for transformations, if a character simply has different forms that don’t offer particular advantages over each other (they’re just different), I’d hand wave it, or make a Transformation with a suite of forms in the same way you make a suite of attacks.
Wristan wrote:So i guess one item I see is that "Boorish" is not in the weakness area yet it's on Shou's character sheet, so was this left out by accident? So the next question is i guess the TV rating in the right hand lower corner of the character sheet, does it serve any meaning, or is it just some how to rate the adventure the characters will be in?
As CursedEmbrace points out, this should be Rude. It’s been fixed in the latest PDF, but DTRPG is apparently not delivering updated versions of the file to some people. I’ll let you know when I get this worked out.

As for combat, put another way, it’s your DX (1 + any bonuses to damage) multiplied by your margin of success. (Your roll minus their roll.) If they roll equal or higher than you, you miss.
Yalborap
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Yalborap »

So I have another question!

I have absolutely no idea how to parse what Walking Arsenal does, mechanically. Where does its level come into play, and what does the whole "can't use a higher level than your WA rating" limit? Your Attack rating? The amount of dice the attached skill can put into something? Or am I missing something obvious here?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Basically, it turns any Ability into something like Attack, where you can have an endless suite of that Ability. However your alternate forms are limited by your level in Walking Arsenal.

For example, if you chose Vehicle as the focus:

If you have Vehicle +3 and Walking Arsenal +2...
You could have one vehicle at +3 (The one you get from having the Vehicle Ability) and as many vehicles as you want at +2 (capped by Walking Arsenal).

If you have Vehicle +3 and Walking Arsenal +3
You can have as many vehicles as you like at +3

If you have Vehicle +3 and Walking Arsenal +4
You can have as many vehicles as you want at +3. You cannot have any at +4, because Walking Arsenal only serves as a cap for your Ability. It does not improve it in any way if it is less.

Does that help?