Kickstarter!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Kickstarter!

Post by Clay »

I sent out a preview to all backers, and I also sent an email out to everyone who has paid via PayPal to their PayPal address. I went ahead and sent yours again, but if you prefer the link emailed to a different address, let me know.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Chris Brady wrote:Atmo, you got your copy??
Preview is here, and my friend here accepted to GM a game! Finally i'll play!! :D :D :D :D
Ayleron
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Ayleron »

Ran my first test game solo last week with the one member of my group who showed up. How do make sure I am threatening the player enough? It seemed like I was too afraid to challenge him, I struggle with being a soft gm. Could we get some example monsters and/or villains?
cassius335
Worthy Tortoise

Post by cassius335 »

Ayleron wrote:Ran my first test game solo last week with the one member of my group who showed up. How do make sure I am threatening the player enough? It seemed like I was too afraid to challenge him, I struggle with being a soft gm. Could we get some example monsters and/or villains?
A Villian Book for the GM, as it were? Nice idea...
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

cassius335 wrote:A Villian Book for the GM, as it were? Nice idea...
"Obstacle Book" or "Rage Bestiary" sound nice, too. :)
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Some Mook Rules would also be a good idea.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
squidheadjax
Shelled Plebeian

Post by squidheadjax »

Chris Brady wrote:Some Mook Rules would also be a good idea.
An infinity of yeses. Quick generic OpFors help set a baseline when GMing in a new system.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

The "Basic" book doesn't have rules for them?
SuperBunnyBun
Shelled Plebeian

Post by SuperBunnyBun »

A pdf of collected spell/curse builds could be useful as well.
Like suggested ways on how to build casting a fireball spell, or featherfall, or Lina Inverse's 'Dragon Slave'. It could be a fun collaborative effort for the community.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Atmo wrote:
Not that I can find, I'm looking for it, but I could have missed it.

But I want to be able to have the ability to throw a bunch of monsters at my players to mow down (Like some high action anime allow you to do.)
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Chris Brady wrote:
Atmo wrote:
Not that I can find, I'm looking for it, but I could have missed it.

But I want to be able to have the ability to throw a bunch of monsters at my players to mow down (Like some high action anime allow you to do.)
You could use flunkies, or you could try page 100 and read about Creating NPCs. Extras are, probably, what you want.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

The Extras rules are left out of the Preview document, but you can see my summary of using mooks in this other post. The Revised game will also have a greatly expanded section on "extras" to include in your game.

For a simplistic idea of power, simply add a character's highest damage, highest attack roll, highest defense roll, and other relevant abilities (like Armored) together. This is the Threat value. If you make the enemy party's TV equal to the hero party's, that's a roughly 50/50 chance of either side succeeding. Enemy party 75% of the player's TV, that's a challenging, but likely victory. 50% means the players will almost surely win, and 25% means it'll be a cakewalk. Of course, 150% means the players could very likely lose...
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

AHA! Thanks, Clay!
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Apologies to anyone if I sound like a complete idiot by this point in time, but I've been meaning to ask these particular inquiries since I had received the backer preview. To summarize, when I was going through the construction process for some planned projects of mine so that I can get a good feel of the system creation-wise, I've hit a few snags that made me pause my progress.

First concerns the Attacks & Combat Stats portion of a character/vehicle profile, mainly the Roll number and how it's determined.

Second concerns the overall profile and it stems from the TV number. I can only assume that it's short for "Treat Value" but chances are I could be wrong.

I have looked through the PDF again and again and there's no explanation for clarifications of the previously mentioned questions. Chances are that I may have accidentally skipped a page that pertains to their creation and use, so for those of you who are more versed with the system than I at this point, would you so kindly point to the exact page where I can locate the answers I seek?

Gratitude for any aid rendered.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Mendou
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Mendou »

As Clay posted above, TV is Threat Value. It's used to show the basic power level of your character.

As for Roll, that is determined by your basic two dice for anything, plus any abilities which would add to your attack roll, such as Agile or Combat Expert. If, for instance, your character has Agile +1 and Combat Expert +3, your Roll would be 6 (2+1+3).

Hope this helps!
-39-