Kickstarter!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Kickstarter!

Post by Dreamstryder »

Better done well than quickly. Even if September isn't OVA month, the Kickstarter for Tenra Bansho Zero (Jidai-geki Japan on an alien planet) came up for me (I wonder if their tiers would give Clay ideas). Anyway, don't count me out even if you see me rarely; I'm very patient.
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Is this game ever coming out? LOL Is it still the art guy? What's going on, Clay? It's not the wait, but the lack of information that's troublesome.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yes, yes, it's coming out. Slowly as always, but art is at least getting done for a change. If not the end of September, the KS should launch first thing October. May be just as well. As mentioned Tenra just drained just about everyone of their money recently anyway. :) That said, did any of the pledge goals for TBZ have any of you particularly excited? Should I take notes? :)

Anyway, there's another thread with a little surprise for you guys. It's not a release date or even art, but I hope you all will appreciate it. :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12118
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Hellz, yeah it's appreciated!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

It's appreciated!
Dreamstryder
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Dreamstryder »

Let's see how I can apply TBZ tiers to OVA. I sought mainly the color hardcover because Tenra has a 2 books, one rather thick, both full of art. I really like the art for both TBZ and OVA. Assuming I'd need more d6s to play, an upgrade got me not only cheap d6s, but culturally appropriate kanji dice. More items (ie textiles) played into the culture of TBZ's setting.

I'm unsure what culturally-appropriate artifact would best suit an OVA extra, but OVA does have both its own source culture and focus on snazzy art, and I appreciate both appearing in the cover illustration preview.

I got an extra campaign setting to:
A) save time. TBZ has a specific setting that is already my cup of tea, unlike something more generic like D&D or genre-flexible like OVA where I'd have to hunt around or make my own for a good match to my tastes.
B) get a better grip on how to use the system for different settings.

OVA, first printing, does this a little thru a free adventure and premade characters (like Karis) covering different genres. I wonder if mini-settings for each genre would help. I'm not sure how many were awaiting the canceled fantasy and mecha supplements, but I'd leap for a set like Vampire Hunter D, Final Fantasy XII, Phantasy Star IV, or Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals that combines rustic fantasy sensibilities (alien wilderness, swords, mutant monsters, "magic") with sci-fi sensibilities (mecha, spacecraft, technological ruins). Combining genres like so may save on how many are needed and form great combinations like peanut butter and jelly.

In a mini-set, I'd personally look for:
  • item, creature, and vehicle stats
  • similarly-themed games/anime/manga (ie: Green Legend Ran = environmentalist post-apocalyptic adventure with mysterious plot-point girl)
  • such a setting's typical features
  • how its features are adapted to different genres (ie war saga, revenge hunter, sentai, character drama, girl falls into another world)
I can make specific places and flesh out scenarios myself; I just don't want to come up with character/story archetypes and stats.

PS: The 4th list item may be better satisfied by a setting-independent discussion of the character archetypes and typical scenarios of each genre, like a depthy version of what was in the first OVA printing. I assume most OVAers are passingly familiar with the genres, so venturing further into their nuts and bolts would be mightily appreciated, like how shoujo drama (with its past/present relationship reveals and personal goblins) actually works at an RPG table, how shounen battles can be metaphoric tests of the participants' life philosophies, how to make your war saga enemies into likable characters (or erstwhile friends into enemies) and how to most painfully take advantage of that, etc.

I'd REEEAAALLY like a guide on this kinda grit, Clay. :)
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Dreamstryder wrote:I'm unsure what culturally-appropriate artifact would best suit an OVA extra
Gashapon :3
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Past mid-October. Any news?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

The genre books have been changed in purpose slightly, and are now adventure books. Essentially, a single setting, a complete adventure, and a bunch of characters. Essentially a ready-to-go game with little prep and no need for character generation if you don't want to. Each will represent a common anime setting, and will also discuss common tropes and history for that setting. Ideally one will be offered as a stretch goal for the OVA Kickstarter.

That said, OVA itself has a new "Making it anime" setting that gives a broad overview of various bits of anime note. Discussions of genre, explanation of Japanese currency, schools, and locales. Anime site gags and beloved tropes. (Cherry blossoms any one?)

It's still a small section, but I think it's enough to give a fledgling fan enough understanding to make a go of it. I think anything more specialized would lose the focus of the book.

I may post excerpts of it here once it is closer to completion, just to see if I'm on the right track. :)

And yes, Bubba...happening eventually. I really only need a few more things to launch the Kickstarter, but we may be looking at either the last days of this month or moving into November. I am committed to this year though, I promise!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Close to year's end. Any news?
MacLeod
Worthy Tortoise

Post by MacLeod »

Here is hoping that the kickstarter gets moving by the end of the month.

In the meanwhile... are there any revisions that haven't been talked about yet? Just looking for something to tide us all over 'til the book is released. :)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hello, hello, here to dash everyone's hopes and dreams again.

In all seriousness, the release window for the Kickstarter was getting pushed so late in November, I made the decision to delay it until January to avoid spending competition from Christmas shopping. I know yet another month is an obnoxious burden, but I think it will bode better for OVA's future to maximize its impact Kickstarted.

Anyway, as a little I'm sorry, here's an OVA Player Book. It's essentially the "demo" version of the new OVA, containing everything you need to know to play a specific pregenerated character. (Miho, in this case, though I will have three ready for the Kickstarter and more in the future.)

But please, don't pass this around, since it's not quite final.

http://www.claygardner.com/files/OVA-Re ... k-Miho.pdf

I know it's not the Kickstarter, but hopefully it will sate your appetites some. You can also read about Complications, which are a new bundle of rules for the revised game!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

VERY cool and thank you. I'm sure you've noticed that on page 7, under "Health & Endurance", the last line of the section's cut. In case you DIDN'T see it, well, there it is. Again, very cool and thanks!
geckoman414
Shelled Plebeian

Post by geckoman414 »

the odds of rolling doubles is not .1666667% its 16.666667%

I think you forgot to move the decimal place when converting to a percentage from a decimal number.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Oops! Thanks guys. Good to have a second pair (or third or fourth) for these things. :)