Psychic Powers permenent yes or no?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Alexandrin
Shelled Plebeian

Psychic Powers permenent yes or no?

Post by Alexandrin »

Okay... Yet again I'm arguing with a player... I think that once your done using a psychic power such as altering the persons emotions then... Well it's semi-permenant... (Lasts for the entire day no longer) And the psychic doesn't have to keep concentraiting... But they think the psychic would have to for the entire time it's being used... Please... How does this power work? Thanks! (Sad thing is if they were playing a psychic they would more then likely love that but they arn't... Their current main enemy is a psychic... >.> She's about to die of old age anyways...)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

As with many Abilities in OVA, the end interpretation is up to you. What the GM says, goes.

...However, if you're asking what I'd do in my own game, I would say the psychic has to continue to actively use the Ability to keep it in effect. What you're attempting to do is not really mind-control so much as hypnotism/brainwashing.

So easy solution: Give your character Special Ability: Hypnotism at something ungodly, like say, +5. In this way, your Player can't argue semantics, and it's perfectly plausible. Use all the psychic rules, just give it a semi-permanent duration. If you want to balance things out, raise the DNs required, or make it easier to resist. Or require hours of incantations. Whatever works!
Shooting Star
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Shooting Star »

I suppose that a semi-permanet effect could be obtained through long sessions of hypnosis, maybe after reducing the "victim"'s mind resistance with other method (i.e. causing some sort of trauma).
But that's my opinion because i usually never let the player obtain great results without an extensive effort.
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Psychic Powers permenent yes or no?

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Alexandrin wrote:Okay... Yet again I'm arguing with a player... I think that once your done using a psychic power such as altering the persons emotions then... Well it's semi-permenant... (Lasts for the entire day no longer) And the psychic doesn't have to keep concentraiting... But they think the psychic would have to for the entire time it's being used... Please... How does this power work? Thanks! (Sad thing is if they were playing a psychic they would more then likely love that but they arn't... Their current main enemy is a psychic... >.> She's about to die of old age anyways...)
For me, I would say things like altering emotions would be semi-permanent becase, let's face it, emotions change. The new emotion would hold so long as it was valid. For example, changing the emotion of a security guard to "friendly" while you are around makes him less suspicious (sp?) of you, but once you rob the bank he's working at, that "friendly" emotion is replaced with anger, fear, revenge, etc.

But, on that same note, other aspects of Psychic are permanent: Altered Memory. You change the way they remember the past, and that's how they remember it from then on. Unless, of course, another Psychic re-alters their memory...or some tramatic experience brings the real memory back. Hmm....guess all Psychic abilities are semi-permanent. ^_^

Sorry for the late reply, but I hope it's helpful ^_^

TBP