Rules Clarification: Power Moves and Attack Roles / Damage

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

tokyosteve
Shelled Plebeian

Rules Clarification: Power Moves and Attack Roles / Damage

Post by tokyosteve »

This may have been brought up before, if so, my apologies. Perhaps we could create a FAQ thread about rules clarifications if so to avoid duplication. But after getting the rules on Monday, and now having some great campaign ideas, I sat down to try and make up some characters for the Demon Isles campaign. But ran into a few clarifications regarding combat and power moves. I envision my campaign to have a lot of action. So I anticipate most characters to have a power move or two.

Question 1: Does Power Move Stack with Attack Roll?
I understand that abilities stack for attack roles, such as combat skill and agility. But does power move stats stack as well? For example, if I have a character (Katie) that has Combat Skill +2, Agility +2, and is using a power move of +2, does she roll 8 dice (2 default +2 (Agi)+2 (CS)+2 (PM)=8 ), or does she just roll 6 dice (2 default + 2 (Agi) +2 (CS)).

It would appear from the combat example in the back, that it does not. However under Will attack perk it would seem that it does?

Question 2: Does weapon damage or strength damage stack with Power Move?

I understand that Power Move has its own DN. But for example, if Sir Richard had a power move with his fencing sword of +2 (I believe that is a DN of 4), plus he has weapon (fencing sword) +2, and strength +1, what is his total DN when using the power move:

Option A: 4 from the power move alone.
Option B: 5 from the power move plus the strength
Option C: 7 from the power move plus the strength plus the sword

I actually think that it should be Option A, but with characters that have a good strength and good weapon they may never want to use their power move as it will cost endurance.

Question 3 - Magic and Power Moves
It appears that Auren has magic plus he power moves. I like this idea as it makes it less endurance and a lot less complicated to cast a power move spell (but also gives him his signature spells, so the ones he uses a lot he would use Powe Move, a new powermove spell (say one that was mental he might have to make up the spell on the fly).

But similar to Question One, when doing the attack roll for his "magic spell" power moves, does he get to add his Hobby: Magic, Magic Arcane, or Smart to his attack roll (I would say yes to either Hobby or Magic Arcane plus Smart but not all three). And again does he add the power move ability itself to the total number of dice rolled?

Question 4 - Number of Power Moves
Is there a number of power moves that you should limit the character to. I understand that in the zero-point character gen system, that power move only counts once for point buying your character gen system. But several example PC have several power moves listed under them.

Is it per move, or just for the whole suite. If for the whole suite is there a number limitation to the number you may have? I would houserule no more than the ability. So if you have Power Move +1 you can have one move in your suite, if you Power Move +2 you can have 2 and so on.

Thank you in advance for answering the questions. I am really starting to enjoy the ideas in this game. Seeing power move on the character sheets but having such a smaller (relative to other RPG) book, I was very intrigued. It was one of the main reasons I bought the book. Plus that and the art.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Rules Clarification: Power Moves and Attack Roles / Dama

Post by Clay »

tokyosteve wrote:Question 1: Does Power Move Stack with Attack Roll?
I understand that abilities stack for attack roles, such as combat skill and agility. But does power move stats stack as well? For example, if I have a character (Katie) that has Combat Skill +2, Agility +2, and is using a power move of +2, does she roll 8 dice (2 default +2 (Agi)+2 (CS)+2 (PM)=8 ), or does she just roll 6 dice (2 default + 2 (Agi) +2 (CS)).

It would appear from the combat example in the back, that it does not. However under Will attack perk it would seem that it does?
You only add Power Move if the Perk Will Attack is taken. This is because Agility and Combat Skill are no longer added. (At least, that's how I recall the rule). This way you still make a decent attack roll.
tokyosteve wrote:Question 2: Does weapon damage or strength damage stack with Power Move?

I understand that Power Move has its own DN. But for example, if Sir Richard had a power move with his fencing sword of +2 (I believe that is a DN of 4), plus he has weapon (fencing sword) +2, and strength +1, what is his total DN when using the power move:

Option A: 4 from the power move alone.
Option B: 5 from the power move plus the strength
Option C: 7 from the power move plus the strength plus the sword

I actually think that it should be Option A, but with characters that have a good strength and good weapon they may never want to use their power move as it will cost endurance.
I designed the game to be fairly open-ended in interpreting what does and doesn't stack. How I play the game is Damage from Power Move + Strength ONLY if it's a strength powered attack, and never Weapon.

However, most people who play the game seem to add Weapon, so I suppose it can follow a similar rationale as strength...if the Power Move makes use of it, add it.
tokyosteve wrote:Question 3 - Magic and Power Moves
It appears that Auren has magic plus he power moves. I like this idea as it makes it less endurance and a lot less complicated to cast a power move spell (but also gives him his signature spells, so the ones he uses a lot he would use Powe Move, a new powermove spell (say one that was mental he might have to make up the spell on the fly).

But similar to Question One, when doing the attack roll for his "magic spell" power moves, does he get to add his Hobby: Magic, Magic Arcane, or Smart to his attack roll (I would say yes to either Hobby or Magic Arcane plus Smart but not all three). And again does he add the power move ability itself to the total number of dice rolled?
I would personally say no in all cases, but as I previously stated, OVA is set up so you can add what you want to add. If I had to pick one, it'd be the Hobby: Magic. Power Move does not add to your attack roll. Neither should Magic, Arcane. Hobby: Magic can be akinned to Combat Skill and the like.
tokyosteve wrote:Question 4 - Number of Power Moves
Is there a number of power moves that you should limit the character to. I understand that in the zero-point character gen system, that power move only counts once for point buying your character gen system. But several example PC have several power moves listed under them.

Is it per move, or just for the whole suite. If for the whole suite is there a number limitation to the number you may have? I would houserule no more than the ability. So if you have Power Move +1 you can have one move in your suite, if you Power Move +2 you can have 2 and so on.
There are no hardcoded limits, though no character in the book has more than three. (At least, that's how I remember it)

Your idea of limiting the number of powers to the Level of the Ability is a good one. I may be tempted to use it myself. ^_^ But I will likely never change the book's text to say as much.
tokyosteve wrote:Thank you in advance for answering the questions. I am really starting to enjoy the ideas in this game. Seeing power move on the character sheets but having such a smaller (relative to other RPG) book, I was very intrigued. It was one of the main reasons I bought the book. Plus that and the art.
I'm glad you're enjoying it! And, please, keep asking any questions that you have. It only makes me think about the game, which is the only way to make it better!
tokyosteve
Shelled Plebeian

Thanks...

Post by tokyosteve »

Thanks for the quick turnaround!

Based on your response I think I am going to the do the following for my games:

Power Moves and Weapons
Depends on the character. If it looks like a character is stacking stuff to get around the limitations on damage (i.e. min/maxing) I won't add weapon. However, given that power attacks take endurance, and that most characters will have power attacks based on weapons, I will probably add weapon since otherwise the players may never use the power attack. I only see a character using Power Attack once or twice in a battle (sine there is a high endurance cost). And since probably each one will also have the focus limitation, it balances out a bit. But if it gets abused, I will cut back.

I take it that you don't add strength to things like guns though for damage (at least I won't) that will encourage melee combat.

Magic and Power Attack
Since my campaign will have a lot of magic, I will do the following:

Use Hobby: Magic Attack or Smarts (whichever the player wants to use - like how hobby and combat skill don't stack, I don't think these should either).

Not allow defending players to use defense skill (since you can't parry a magic bolt but you might be able to dodge one) just use quickness. But allow some characters to either take a special ability (Defense Magic) which acutally allows them to defend against magic attacks.

I think it will give magic attacks a unique flavor to the game, and balancing wise, not too unbalanced:

Attacker is using 1 ability + 2 dice (either hobby or smarts)
Defender is using 1 ability +2 dice (quickness)
But attacker has to spend endurance, and their will be rare folks (demonhunters) that can really defend against magic since they will have:
2 abilities + 2 dice (quickenss, Magic Defense).

Cheers for now!
tokyosteve
Shelled Plebeian

Another Question...

Post by tokyosteve »

Another Question...I should have asked the first time...

Question 5 - Do the perks from Weapon and Power Move stack if the power move is with the weapon?

I really have no idea on this one. On the one hand it would make sense if I have Wepaon +3 (ie. spent the points for it) to apply to another ability which I spent +2 for Power Move. Since the power move does require endurance and requires the focus of the weapon. Lets take an example from my first character wee bonnie Katie.

She has the power move 2-fisted Handcanon --> 15 endurance, multiple shot, ranged, activation.

She also has custom made wheelock Handcannon (i.e Weapon +3 with ranged and increased knockback).

I would make the powermove require ranged (eventhough the gun already has for balance), but the gimmick of the power attack is firing widly with two guns at the same time without losing accuracy. So, I would also say that the increased knockback was also in effect since it is an effect of the gun and not the power move.

I know this may seem munchiny, but weapons are very specific, they are sort of like an ability and weakness combined into one (since they are focus). While something like marital arts or strength can't be taken away (and therefore doesn't have the perk/flaw aspect of a weapon).
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Thanks...

Post by Clay »

tokyosteve wrote:Not allow defending players to use defense skill (since you can't parry a magic bolt but you might be able to dodge one) just use quickness. But allow some characters to either take a special ability (Defense Magic) which acutally allows them to defend against magic attacks.
Defense does not refer to parrying but "skill in avoiding damage." A defense roll could be a parry, yes, but it could also be a triple backflip. It's a descriptive thing.

If for some reason defense is linked to a magical shield, then perhaps you could drop it for "unparryable" attacks. In general, however, don't.
tokyosteve wrote:I think it will give magic attacks a unique flavor to the game, and balancing wise, not too unbalanced:

Attacker is using 1 ability + 2 dice (either hobby or smarts)
Defender is using 1 ability +2 dice (quickness)
But attacker has to spend endurance, and their will be rare folks (demonhunters) that can really defend against magic since they will have:
2 abilities + 2 dice (quickenss, Magic Defense).
I apologize for not clarifying this in my last post. When making an attack roll, you should always include Abilities like Combat Skill and Agility unless an Ability states otherwise. (Like Spirit Attack).

If you would like to change this for your game, that's perfectly fine. It would certainly fit better for ancient sages destroying armies. But for your basic run-of-the-mill hero, having him follow the same rules as everyone else is a lot easier on the brain.
tokyosteve
Shelled Plebeian

Post by tokyosteve »

Again thanks Clay for the clarifications. Just want to make sure I have this straight then, for the rules as written,

You use combat skill or Hobby, plus agility to make an attack in general, and use defense or hobby, plus quickness to make a defense in general.

The only current exception to that in the rules, is the Will attack part of a power move. In that case you use power move + will as the attack roll vs. the defenders will only. Making Will Attacks very powerful indeed. But then for most characters that is the only method they have.

I think perhaps for my first game, that is what I will use. If it doesn't feel right for a wizard, then I will just give them a hobby: magic attack spells. I like the idea of magic signature attack spells being "power moves" instead of just casting power move on yourself through magic, arcane.

Since my campaign is swashbuckling with a dash of demons I think that would work just fine.

However, if I was running a high fantasy game, where you had lots of magic, I would probably add the following abilities to the game:

Magic Combat Skill (like Combat Skill but only for spells or similar, could also be used for "magic blades" that are created using the magic, arcane power). That way a mage could be good with their magic, but not with swords, bows, or anyother weapon in general.

For Flavor reasons I don't see any differance between a mage firing off eldritch blasts every round vs. a archer firing off arrows. So I would also add the following:

Magic Attack (analogous to martial arts but for magic) add this to the DT for attacks using your magic combat skill. Can be ranged or non-ranged. Do not add perks/flaws like weapon. This attack must have an affinity.

The magic attack would be like a priests holy bolt, or a wizards eldritch blast or whatever. It would not use endurance, but then you couldn't do anything really fancy with it anyway like armor penetration, area of effect. Those spells need to use endurance. I would not use these two abilites for "normal" games, but I would for a "DnD" type setting. Having only 40 (or for most mages maybe 60) endurance means during an adventure you would burn a lot of endurance on your power moves. Meanwhile the knight in shining armor is using his Weapon +4 with armor piercing x2, accurate x2 to cut through everything on the battle field with a minimum DT of 5. This is just to even out that for a wizard as well. The really cool stuff would be with power move again, and anything that was "ranged" would be power move as well. This would be for close attacks.

Hopefully I haven't messed this thread up too much....perhaps I should go back and edit.

Cheers for now,