OVA and Play by Post games

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Beli
Worthy Tortoise

OVA and Play by Post games

Post by Beli »

Hi all.

Believe it or not, I found OVA through a PbP site I've been a member of for close to two years now, Roleplay Online. There was a discussion about BESM and other anime styled RPGs, and after looking up the Wise Turtle website, I had to get my copy.

Now, has anyone used OVA in a PbP game before? Does it translate well enough to make it easy to game, especially with regards to speed of combat and such? I'm wondering, because I want to start up a new anime game there and while I like BESM, combat can kind of drag. I have RandomAnime, but it seems a bit ... squirrely to me right now. With that and the fact that not many know about it, I don't know how well I can get the point across in the forums.

If anyone has any experience, I would love to hear about it. And any tips and hints you might have will be appreciated as well.

-Beli
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey, Beli!

Most PbPs -- that is Play by (forum) Post and not Play by Post(al mail), correct? -- I've seen have been of the freeform variety, so I can't personally give you any play experience to speak of.

That said, OVA does boil down combat to a minimum of rolls. Initiative is rolled once for the entire combat. (In most cases). Each attack consists of a to-hit roll and a defense roll. There's no rolling extra dice for damage, or rolling "soak" dice for armor, or anything like that. In my experience with PBEM, dice resolution has always been the killer of otherwise good games, so the less the better.

Does this mean it's well-suited for this sort of play? Only you can find out for sure. ^_^
Last edited by Clay on Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beli
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Beli »

Thanks Clay.

Yeah, when I use PbP, I always consider that a forum style of gaming. PbM abd PbeM are used accordingly as well, although I am not much for mail gaming. It takes even longer than forum games. *grins*

Sounds like the system is good, and I hope that I can get a few people involved in a game soon enough to test it out. I have read through the beginning, and character creation seems simple, but I haven't actually tried it out yet.

Here's to more titles in this line! *raises glass*
Roleplay does not begin with everyone else.
Roleplay begins with you.
TheGreyReversed
Shelled Plebeian

Hey there

Post by TheGreyReversed »

Actually, until recently I was running a farirly successful OVA PbP campaign on PLay by web. Aside from the fact this was my first time DMing let alone using PbP I think it works pretty well. The only difficulty I noticed is making sure all my players understand the rules. I can't begin to count the nu,ber of times the campiagn almost screeched to a halt inrder t explain them, even after I posted them on my website (btw, if anyone would like to link to my website in order to have online access to rules for the players let me know
:wink: ). All in all it was pretty popular, too bad I didn't have the time to keep it going.
[i]"Keep talking, and I'll burn your house down and devour your entire family one by one as they come running out." Terror [/i] :D