Another logic problem

Got a question? Serious, silly, relevent, or otherwise, Wise Turtle just might have the answer!

Moderator: Wise Turtle

Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Another logic problem

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

Just thought I'd throw this conundrum at you:

J, an omniscient superbeing, has offered you a choice. He presents you with two boxes. One is made of clear plastic and has $1,000 in cash in it. The other is made of black plastic. You can't see what's in it.

"You have tow choices.", J tells you. "One choice is to take both bozed and everything that's in them. But if that's what I think you'll do, I left the black box empty. You will get the $1,000, but that's it."

"Your other choice is to take ONLY the black box. If that's what I think you will do, I have filled the black box with one million dollars in cash. it's all yours."

"Now I'm going to leave. I'll come back in five minutes, after you've made your decision."

What is your choice? This problem is considered a litmus test of sorts of whether one really believes in free will.
Wise Turtle
Wise Sage

Post by Wise Turtle »

The answer is quite simple. When faced with an omniscent super being who can, if he chooses, poof me out of existence at any moment, I would not take the low path and take both boxes, thus implying he was a liar. If I take the black box and the situation does reveal itself to be a farce, I at least exhibited my trust and hopefully will retain my right to life.