My first campaign

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Cloud
Savior of Turtles

My first campaign

Post by Cloud »

Inspiration first came when I watched final fantasy Advent children subtitled release (dont worry, i wont give any spoilers). I loved the almost super sentai action the combat sequences had( I mean This movie beats the matrix for special effects). Then I took a look at all my other rpgs and none of them could do anything like that. So I went online in search of a better system and I came up finding OAV. Just by reading the pdf and looking at the site, I knew I could run a game with extreme action (dont worry, there will be plenty of shoujo and story elements). But when it came down to storycreation, I am at a halt.

Here's what I have;
The game setting is mostly medival with a few steam punk alterations. The hero's all live in one of humankind's last places of refuge against the mist, the kingdom of Ray-lyte. The mist existed many years before, but it only became hostile about 100 years ago. The mist summons forth demons from the nether world and ever since it gained this ability it is now poisonous to the human anatomy. Recently, out of one of the fallen kingdoms, a great and terrible ruler was revived. He is the king of pain (need new title, thinking more anime-esc).

What I am thinkin
I am not sure If i want other races, but I am kinda thinking about this elvan race, or a race that is resistant against the mist. I am thinking about an mascot for the traveling group. Also I want advice for NPC's. What kind of NPC's were your favorites? Also I havent yet came up with a design for the monsters of the mist. Items of power?I still have a lot of time before the campaign begins (I just bought my copy from rpgnow <edit>(print version :D ) OVA will you please pimp my storyline?
Last edited by Cloud on Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Ah, FFAC! I'm eagerly awaiting to watch that myself. I've heard some very enthusiastic reviews.

The setting is actually reminescent of one I plan on including in OVA Fantasy, only the mist is a rapidly expanding sea of sand.

The book itself, when you receive it, has lots of advice on creating NPCs. But here's some quick thoughts off the top of my head...take with a grain of salt.

1) Anime-ish villain names - The Japanese, being weirdly fascinated with ordinary English words, are prone to using them as character names. Perhaps you should simply call him something obvious like "Lord Pain" If that feels too silly for you, you can always butcher other "evil" words into names. To take a page from Star Wars, Darth Maul and Darth Siduous are immediately intimidating names.

2) - Races resistent to the mist - I think it's an interesting idea. Be sure to consider reasons WHY they are tolerant to it. Are they a mutation of humans, created by circumstance to survive in the mists? Or have they originated from the mists themselves? Is it purely coincidence?

Also consider an appropriate weakness. Being able to survive in the mist gives this race a distinct advantage. Do they have difficulty living outside the mist? Are they frailer than the average human? Sensitive to light?

3) Favorite NPCs - I always like the cool, not quite heroic, not quite evil knightly types. Ashram forever!

Anyway, I wish you luck on the continued development of your setting! I am curious though...how did you manage to net a copy off of eBay? o.o
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

ebay ? (checks previous post) DOH! i meant rpg now. I was browsing ebay at the same time looking for the 90's xmen cartoon on dvd. I was already outbid, by a dollar!
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Heh! What a kwinky-dink. Been googling the X-Men cartoon myself after finding the Japanese opening animation. For whatever reason, the land of the rising sun animated an entire new opening sequence and a laughably bad Engrish opening song.

I like the original best myself...na-na-na-naaa, nuh nuh!
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Ok, so I came up with a race called the Floran. I dont have my notes with me, but here's what I remember. They are a humanoid race that is mostly formed from whatever plantlife that is in the area when they were planted. They are an A-sexual species that reproduces 6-7 times during its life. Since they are asexual, they may choose to gender identify with a sex as dictated by their personality. When growing, they can shape their mass so that they are either more masculine, feminine or a unisex body. They communicates by rubbing a strange growth on a leaf that's connected to their bodies.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq