OVA Print Edition rule changes

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

OVA Print Edition rule changes

Post by Clay »

The time is growing closer for OVA's print release. Being that print is a fairly permanent sort of endeavor, I am looking to make some final changes to the OVA document. I've already fixed a handful of typos and made some clarifications.

Do any of you have any suggestions for rule changes or what not? Has anything not worked in your game?

I'm personally looking at Entangle. I always felt it was a badly made Perk, so am looking to change it.

At the very least, I want to elimate the "succeed by seven" rule and replace it with "If opponent is knocked back"

Sound okay with everyone? Have any other suggestions?
jblittlefield
Worthy Tortoise

Re: OVA Print Edition rule changes

Post by jblittlefield »

Clay wrote:The time is growing closer for OVA's print release. Being that print is a fairly permanent sort of endeavor, I am looking to make some final changes to the OVA document. I've already fixed a handful of typos and made some clarifications.

Do any of you have any suggestions for rule changes or what not? Has anything not worked in your game?

I'm personally looking at Entangle. I always felt it was a badly made Perk, so am looking to change it.

At the very least, I want to elimate the "succeed by seven" rule and replace it with "If opponent is knocked back"

Sound okay with everyone? Have any other suggestions?
Will you be updating the PDF version and sending a free download link to those of us that have already purchased the game?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yes, all of the changes, except for the additional Print-Only artwork, will be made to the PDF release as well. ^_^
jblittlefield
Worthy Tortoise

Post by jblittlefield »

Clay wrote:Yes, all of the changes, except for the additional Print-Only artwork, will be made to the PDF release as well. ^_^
Cool. I assume when it's ready we'll get an e-mail from RPGNow... ;)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Another consideration.

The Flight ability never seemed to mesh well with the other rules. While most Abilities behave the same, Flight behaves different from any other. It's a strange ability that covers a lot of ground...but curious if anyone had any thoughts on that? ^^
ChiPsiUpsilon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ChiPsiUpsilon »

Well, the thing with flight is that... distances and speed are never really covered fully in OVA. Like what it said under the ranged attacked section, it's generally assumed that any character can get close enough to another character for melee combat. Even if a character is floating 20 feet in the air, there's really no reason why another character can't just do a jump kick and hit said character; it happens often enough in anime. So since distance in flight really doesn't matter all that much, there's not much use in taking flight, aside from being able to say "look! I can fly!".

Oh, another thing I've been wanted to bring up but never got around to it. The Time Freeze ability seems to be somewhat overpowered at the higher levels. I mean, at level 1, spending 30 endurance to get an automatic defense success or a bonus action seems fairly resonable. But at level 5, when the endurance cost is only 2? That means that even at the default endurance of 40, a character can get 20 automatic defense successes. How many fights will last so long that a character gets attacked 20 times? This in effect makes the character invincible. Even if you don't use the automatic sucessful defense aspect, and just get extra action... at level 5 Time Freeze, with a default endurance, an opponent can hit you 20 times before you even get to move. Proability alone says that you'll probably not survive getting hit that many times. If said character happens to have some Vitality or Endurance Reserve...
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

ChiPsiUpsilon wrote:Well, the thing with flight is that... distances and speed are never really covered fully in OVA. Like what it said under the ranged attacked section, it's generally assumed that any character can get close enough to another character for melee combat. Even if a character is floating 20 feet in the air, there's really no reason why another character can't just do a jump kick and hit said character; it happens often enough in anime. So since distance in flight really doesn't matter all that much, there's not much use in taking flight, aside from being able to say "look! I can fly!".
That's not quite true. There are situations where flight is very mandatory...even the most athletic characters are not going to be jumping high enough for a mid-air battle over Tokyo. -.o Likewise, flight has uses outside of combat, like many other similar Abilities.
Oh, another thing I've been wanted to bring up but never got around to it. The Time Freeze ability seems to be somewhat overpowered at the higher levels. I mean, at level 1, spending 30 endurance to get an automatic defense success or a bonus action seems fairly resonable. But at level 5, when the endurance cost is only 2? That means that even at the default endurance of 40, a character can get 20 automatic defense successes. How many fights will last so long that a character gets attacked 20 times? This in effect makes the character invincible. Even if you don't use the automatic sucessful defense aspect, and just get extra action... at level 5 Time Freeze, with a default endurance, an opponent can hit you 20 times before you even get to move. Proability alone says that you'll probably not survive getting hit that many times. If said character happens to have some Vitality or Endurance Reserve...
That's exactly why level 5 abilities are strongly discouraged in the character creation chapter. They are meant to be the "ultimate" possible, and represent an incredible level of power. Time Freeze isn't alone...Incorporeal form can work in the same way.

As long as you keep in mind 5 is, basically, a Godly rank, you'll be fine.
Stormfalcon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Stormfalcon »

Clay wrote:Yes, all of the changes, except for the additional Print-Only artwork, will be made to the PDF release as well. ^_^
Cool. Will they be also listed in an errata/addendum page (or two) as well, for those who don't want to reprint the entire PDF to get the rules changes?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

As always, a list of updates is included with the email that grants you the extra download. I can recreate the errata list either on the site or on this forum if there is such a demand.

Unfortunately, minute changes (like correcting typos or graphics glitches) have not been documented, and as such, are listed as "Various corrections to text and graphics."
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

I don't mind having minute changes documented under a single point.
The important things are the rules errate so that I can decide to print out the page(s) or copy the changes by hand to my printed out copy...