Rolling dice for unopposed rolls

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

bushido11
Worthy Tortoise

Rolling dice for unopposed rolls

Post by bushido11 »

Greetings, everyone. First off, I want to say that the game looks really good and is something I hope my friends will enjoy as well. Well done, Clay! Now for my topic.

I had an idea about having the GM roll for unopposed rolls rather than pick a DN from the list, working just like an opposed roll. Why? I just thought it might be a neat idea. Rather than assign a DN to a difficulty, roll a number of dice according to the difficulty and follow the same rules as if you were making a regular dice roll.

Easy: 1d
Moderate: 2d
Challenging: 3d
Difficult: 4d
Very Difficult: 5d
Extremely Difficult: 6d
Nigh Impossible: 7d+

To some, it might seem pointless and extra dice-rolling. I see it as a mental exercise. What do you think?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I actually considered rolling unopposed rolls. The Ironclaw RPG works the same way, with difficulties being represented by dice rolls instead of set numbers. (www.ironclaw.com if I recall)

It's certainly doable, but this list doesn't really work. For one thing, Easy is two to three times as hard because of the possibility of rolling 3-6 with some regularity.

Possibly shifting the entire list down (making Easy an auto-success, Moderate 1d, Challenging 2d, etc.) would make a list more comparable to the original DN chart. Though they won't be the same no matter what.

It's definitely an interesting idea to tinker with.
bushido11
Worthy Tortoise

Post by bushido11 »

Yeah, it makes sense to have Easy as an automatic success..otherwise, it wouldn't be so easy. :)

Well one of other reasons why I suggested rolling unopposed rolls was to use a universal set of modifiers, instead of modifying a dice roll and a difficulty number. Though I found the difficulty number table, I couldn't find a modifier table. Would it be possible for you to post up a description of modifiers, please?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Modifiers are not explicitly stated. I wanted to encourage players and game masters not to fall into number crunching and looking up tables for every action that must be taken.

If you want a basic idea for modifiers, use character creation as a guide, ie. -1 is annoying, -2 is bad, -3 is awful! or +1 is good, +2 is excellent, etc.

It's all the same scale.

Post by Guest »

Although it's good to encourage players and game masters not to fall into number crunching and looking up tables, guidelines aren't a bad idea, either. I'm not much of a fan of crunching together a bunch of modifiers myself; I'd rather eyeball the situation myself.

Thanks for posting up guidelines for modifiers, though. I appreciate it.