Threat Numbers in action

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Stormfalcon
Shelled Plebeian

Threat Numbers in action

Post by Stormfalcon »

Just got the full PDA version and glancing through it right now (tried printing it out, but my printer chose to start screwing up). So far, it's looking good, and I like the amount of examples used in the book. However, I think that one more should've been put in, and that's illustrating how to generate an NPC's Threat Number. I know from page 102 that it's highest DT + highest defense roll + highest attack roll + bonuses & penaties to health & endurance. With the rolls, is it a case where it's the number of dice, or is it a case where you take the number of dice and multiply by six (the highest roll on a d6), and can we get an example of just how to generate a TN?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

For TV calculation, it is always the number of DICE rolled. Using such numbers times 6 would, for one, be much higher than the example TVs and, for two, not be accurate, since a roll of all 6s becomes increasingly unlikely as the number of dice go up.

I apologize for it not being clear, though. I hope this answers your question? ^^

For an example, since the NPCs are already done, let me give one of the PCs a stab, let's say....Karis.

Karis's strongest means of attack is her boomerang, which has a DT of 4.

Karis's Quick +2 and Defense +2 offer a max defense roll of 6.

Karis's Agile +1 and Combat Skill +2 give her an attack roll of 5

She has no Abilities or Weaknesses that affect Health and Endurance.

The result is 4 + 6 + 5, or 15.

Of course there's some fluctuating room here. Barrier allows, theoretically, a higher Defense Roll. In the case of Shadowman, he was given a point or two extra TV to cover this. In Karis's case, the Ability is low-ranked enough I don't think it is worth much, if anything.

Of bigger note is her Servant, Arasuni. If he is present in the encounter, I would also calculate HIS TV.

DT = 5, Defense = 1, Attack = 4, and Tough = +3

So 13. GM's may also grant a point or two because of his Armor Ability.
Stormfalcon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Stormfalcon »

Thanks! This makes things a lot more clear. Perhaps this clarification should go into the version destined for Print on Demand?