Magic Items

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Magic Items

Post by Cloud »

I would like to start up a thread discussing magic items. I am also going to post a magic item here. I would like it if more people posted items here too so we can see how many are made.

Dark Pearl Earring - These earrings belonged to a powerful magic user. These grant the user 1 level of Endurance Reserve.
Last edited by Cloud on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

Bracelet of Deflection - This inch-and-a-half thick bracelet is covered with engravings of midieval-style shields. When held in a defensive manner, it projects a defensive barrier around the wearer.
Benefits: Barrier +2, Endurance Reserve +3, Linked -1 (Barrier uses Endurance Reserve), Trigger -1 (Holding bracelet in a defensive fashion).

Cloak of the Eagle - This unassuming cloak has designs of an eagle in flight on its back. When activated, it turns into a pair of eagle wings and allows the user to fly with good agility.
Benefits: Transformation +1 (Flight +3, Bizarre Appearance -1(eagle wings))

Shirt of Many Faces - This shirt is made of a fine silk, and is light enough to feel like it isn't even there. At will, the shirt can change appearance to look like anything.
Benefits: Shape Change +1

Nose-ring of Horror - This nose-ring is a large-gauge ring, that seems to swirl with gray-and-black smoke from within.
Benefits: Intimidation +2

Ring of the Magi - An eloquent ring with a sizable shapphire gem, and two smaller diamonds. The ring is covered with small runes of power, engraved by a powerful, but long-dead, wizard.
Benefit: Arcane Magic +2, Linked -1 (User must have Arcane Magic to make use of this item. It essentially adds +2 to your Arcane Magic Ability, but doesn't give it to you if you don't have it).

Bane of Wisdom - This cursed circlet causes the wearer to believe that s/he is smarter than s/he actually is. In reality, it makes them more vulnerable to suggestion. It was crafted long ago, by an angered wizard who believed he deserved the throne that his older brother had inherited. He made the circlet and gave it to his brother as a gift, and used it to claim the throne as his own.
Benefits: Accidental Transformation -2 (Overconfident -2(Believes his/her intelligence is greater than what it really is), Weak-Willed -2).
NOTE: I'm not sure how to deal with cursed items, so this is the best I was able to do.

-----

On a related note, how do you deal with magic items in OVA Fantasy? I would assume that it would be similar to Mecha, in which you get +X per level to build the item. I'm just curious, that's all.

TBP
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Here are some more items. If you can improve on the design of my items, feel free.

Bracer of Skill - Black Hills gold bracer with the symbol of a sword on the middle. Benefit - Hobby +2 (sword play).

Symbol of Beauty - Silver necklace that seems to accentuate the natural beauty of any female that wears it. Has the strange ability to also draw out new found confidence in its wearer.
Benefits- Beauty + 1, Charisma + 1
Requirement: Gender must be female. Has no effect on males or androgenous peoples.

Blade of Echo - A sword with a purpleish black blade. Its handle is a deep brown. Down the edge of the blade is the word Echo written in a lost language.
Benefits-Endurance Reserve +3, Weapon +3 (Armor Piercing lv 3), Time Freeze Lv 1
Drawbacks- linked -1 (Time Freeze uses Endurance Reserve)

Shades of Conviction - These Ruby tinted glassses add a new level of cool to a character's demenor.
Benefits- willpower + 1

*edit decided to make time freeze dependent on the energy that the weapon held.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Brands- All are created as Weapon Level 3
Fire Brand This sword's blade is warm to the touch. When drawn in combat, the blade lights up and the immediate area seems a few degrees warmer.
Benefits:Continued Damage, Extra Damage
Affinity: Fire/ heat

Ice Brand The Ice brand is a very sleek sword with a strong, thinning blade. It has been rumored to cut through armor rather easily due to its icy touch. This sword gives off a smoky cool mist.
Benefits: Armor PiercingX2, Extra Damage
Affinity: Ice/ cold

Lighting Brand The Lighting brand is interesting. It is a normal looking blade outside of combat. When drawn in times of battle, the blade seems to bleed electricity (which dosent harm the user at all). The blade is really light weight, making it easy to swing while remaining perfectly balanced as well as strong.
Benefits: Rapid Strikes, Extra Damage
Affinity: Lighting/ electricity

If anyone else has any ideas on these items or has any comments or any improvements for any examples shown Please respond.
TheBouncyPherret
Exalted Amphibian

Post by TheBouncyPherret »

To continue your "Brands" weapons:

Earth Brand - This sword gives the weilder a surge of power, and hits with the power of a 20-ton hammer.
Benefit - Weapon +3 (Extra Knockback, affinity: Earth/stone), Strength +1

Healing Touch - This white glove is seemingly made of malleble (sp??) ivory, and has ornate engravings symbolizing health and longevity.
Benefit - Healing +2, Endurance Reserve +2, Linked -1 (Healing uses End Reserve)
BM15
Shelled Plebeian

Post by BM15 »

Some are theamatically named... and forgive me, I like guns.

Ocelot - A seemingly mundane Colt Single Action Army, this .45 revolver is actually forged from the steel of a powerful magic sword renowned for felling many foes in one swing. Every pull of the trigger fires one bullet, but three almost always fall.
Benefit - Weapon +3: Ranged, Multiple Targets x2, Decreased Damage, Special Flaw (Six Shots).

Deadeye - Though it seems nothing more than your run of the mill Remington 700 bolt action rifle with scope some say there is a spirit of a great marksman within this weapon that makes the nearly impossible shots almost too easy.
Benefit - Weapon +3: Ranged, Armor Peircing, Extra Accuracy x2, Special Flaw (Five Shots).

Devil's Paintbrush - This Maxim machine gun took more than 10,000 lives in one hour at the Battle of the Somme. So impressed was the devil it is lored that he placed a dark blessing upon this weapon. When firing for prolonged periods of time opperators report hearing unnearving, demonic laughter just barely audible over the bark of the gun.
Benefit - Weapon +4: Ranged, Area of Effect, Rapid Strikes, Extra Accuracy, Special Flaw (Takes 3 rounds to set up before it can fire).
Alexandrin
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Alexandrin »

Mizu Ha (water Blade)
Perks: Sword+1, Contains bathtubs worth of water.
Flaw: Must soak in bath tubs worth of water each night.
In World: 5
Bio: This is one of the minor artifacts of the Water Kingdom royal family the blade looks as if it is made of water a pleasent blue colour... The power is the fact that it contains water and water magic users must have water at hand to cast their spells, they can not create water on their own. It is said long ago many of these were in the world, today only five are. The Royal family has all of them save for the blade Prince Kirin took to the non magic user nations and the blade Prince Kirin gave to a servent of his.
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Nice! Lets keep the items coming guys. I havent had too much time lately to create more, but I am thinking up some.
BM15
Shelled Plebeian

Post by BM15 »

Tyrant Slayer - Though it seems nothing much more than your average Roman dagger, this weapon is the last surviving dagger used in the assassination of Julius Ceaser. It is believed that because it killed a man larger than life the dagger itself seems to thrive on bringing down the most powerful of foes.
Benefit: Weapon +2: Special Perk (Against foes that are considered a 'Very Unlikely' or 'Nigh Impossible' challenge this weapon is +5 and has the Extra Accuracy perk as well).

Holy Thunder - A pump-action shotgun of unique design, Holy Thunder was forged from an angel's sword (the silvery metal of the blade now the barrel, the blue handguard and handle remaining the same, save the added trigger). The tube magazine runs under the barrel, complete with pump, as usual, but across the top of the weapon runs half of the sword's original blade, making it both a melee and ranged weapon. Every time the weapon is fired its report is that of rolling thunder... and it never seems to run out of buckshot.
Benefit: Weapon +4: Ranged, Extra Knockback, Special Perk (can be used as a melee weapon as well), Affinity (Lightning / Thunder)

Judge and Executioner - The last survivor of a hopeless stand on a miserable hill in the dead of winter 1950, high in the mountians of North Korea, a battle-hardened Captian of the US Army actually met his end at the hands of Chinese soldiers... but when he awoke his wounds were gone, the enemy soldiers apparently having moved on. He had no memory of what happened after the bayonet peirced his heart... no memory of mortal combat with Death itself for the right to return to life, no memory of his victory... no memory of a peice of Death's scythe he had shot away becoming one with his twin Colt M1911s. The soldier saw a peacful end to his life recently... but his two pistols remain, ready to serve their next weilder's form of justice, good or not.
Benefit: Weapon +5: Ranged, Multiple Targets, Armor Peircing, Extra Accuracy