Idea for a sourcebook...fighting games

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Killer GM
Shelled Plebeian

Idea for a sourcebook...fighting games

Post by Killer GM »

So I was thinking about the types of things I'd like to do with OVA, and it occured to me that there's not a lot of games out there that cover the genre of fighting games or martial arts anime.

You could have new rules for things like Super Meters, Super Moves, specific martial arts styles, tournaments, and so on.

What other things would be appropriate for this kind of book?
RemyDuron

Post by RemyDuron »

OVA: Guilty Gear

Suh-weet!

Sorry, that's all I have to add.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Believe it or not, I did think about this once or twice.

However, OVA already has a little bit of influence from those sources. Specifically, Power Move is entirely inspired by martial arts anime and videogames. Heck, even Counter kinda works in this vein.

But OVA: Guilty Gear....

that WOULD be cool :D

I wouldn't hold your breath though. We're not quite in the licensing business...yet.
RemyDuron

Post by RemyDuron »

I guess I need to register here...

Anyway, I may try to write up a couple of characters from Guilty Gear just to test out the system. The hardest ones will be like Zappa and maybe Slayer, who have somewhat unique fighting styles in the game.
Killer GM
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Killer GM »

Well, Zappa would probably be a Transformation ('cause he only fights when possessed), and all the various ghosts would be Power Moves and such.

S-ko = Defense/Armor
Black Dog = Animal Companion with a Summonable special.
Bad Luck Ghosts = projectile with special "Bad Luck" effect
Razor Sword = Weapon
Raou = Big honking energy beam

Post by Guest »

But modeling the "build up" to Raou. And can you use Power Move to do Armor and such? I thought it was purely an attack.
Killer GM
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Killer GM »

Well, yeah, S-ko wouldn't be one of his Power Moves, because she's really just there to provide basic attacks, block, the insta-kill, and to be a reference to The Ring. So she'd just be Defense.

As for the build-up to Raou, that's more of a video game thing than RPG thing. I'd model Raou as an attack with a one-round warm up, and a lot of extra damage...not to mention a high energy cost.

Remember: when you convert a video game to an RPG, don't try to make everything work exactly as it does in the video game. They have completely different rules
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Zappa is one of the characters I never really played, so I'm afraid I can't really say with any certainty how to handle his moves. If I were to guess, I'd say Barrier is probably more appropriate of an Ability than Armor.

Also, there's a Power Flaw called "Charge" ...sounds appropriate for Raou.