A few questions...

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Killer GM
Shelled Plebeian

A few questions...

Post by Killer GM »

Well, first off, I gotta say: Clay, love the game. As far as I'm concerned, it smokes BESM in about half the pages. Great job.

But...(you knew that was coming) I got a few questions.

Y'see, I'm trying to get off my butt and write a review of this for RPGnet. A few friends and I will be doing a quick playtest, but I want to get myself cleared up on a few things.

1) Power Move: When I buy Power Move at, say, +2, how many moves do I have? Two? Three? As many as I want? And how do I add new moves later?

2) Vehicle/Mecha: The books says I have as many points to build a mech as I spend on the advantage. So, if I have Mecha +1, then I build the mech as a character with an overal total of +1? If so, that seems kinda unfair, because Transformation gives you 2 for 1. Also, if mech Abilities don't stack onto my character, how could I make, say, a power suit with a built-in tageting computer (Combat Skill +1) that adds to the pilot's natural ability?

3) Weapon: It's never actually stated, but weapons don't have an endurance cost to use, right? And I can take any perk or flaw except Extra Damage or Decreased Damage?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks for the kind words, but before I'm overcome with flattery, let me get to your questions...

1) There is no limit to the number of moves in your suite. I've found three is a useful cap. You don't want your character turning into a swiss army knife. But you COULD if you wanted to.

As for adding new moves, you can do this between adventures after getting your EXP for the adventure. Though it does not cost anything, you Game Master may want you to ask for permission or create a story-reason for the new moves. New moves may also be gained during an adventure if the Game Master's plot dictates it.

2) The reason mecha does not give a similar +2 per level is because of several innate advantages a vehicle has. For one, the Abilities granted by a Vehicle can usually be shared. (Even motorcycles can boast an extra passenger). The main reason, however, is the "free" Health and Endurance totals. You get 40 Health and 40 Endurance even with a +1 in Vehicle.

As for making a power suit, I really don't consider this as a vehicle. Use the Transformation Ability with the Focus weakness of Power Suit.

3) Weapons don't cost Endurance to use. If it doesn't say it uses Endurance, an Ability does not. And yes, you can use any other Perk and Flaw.

Hope that answers your questions! And thanks in advance for the RPG.net review.