Fukiko

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Fukiko

Post by momosnyx »

When I looked over the sample character Fukiko I was wondering why she has Shapechange +2 & Transformation +4.
Both are mentioned on p. 32: "She can also use this power to simply change her appearance. She cannot use this Shape Change ability and the Transformation power simultaneously", but only Transformation is covered in the character creation example on p. 16. It would be nice to have some explanation in the character creation example as well, as the "Shapechange" to the "Lovely Savior Myu Myu" is already covered in Transformation, so the "additional" Shapechange +2 seems to be something different (as the text above indicates as well).
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I think you misunderstand what Shape Change does. Shape Change does not refer to her kitty ears and magical girl attire. It allows Fukiko to take the form of other people as she chooses. Think of Sailor Moon's rarely used Transformation Pen where she becomes a beautiful office woman or a police officer. She can't use this Power while in Heroic Kitty mode. It also is mentioned during her creation under "Finishing Touches" if I recall correctly.

More information on Shape Change can be found under the Abilities section.
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

OK, I finally get it...
You're right, Shapechange is mentioned under finishing touches, although it is never explained why Fukiko's player takes it. It's a bit strange to put the selection of additional attributes for her and her companion in the example under "Finishing touches" where I'd rather expect the things which are mentioned in Step 5 like background, appearance, personality etc.

BTW: I like that sample character with both Transformation & Shapechange. While I like the idea of playing a child, I think there are some limitations to it. Like having situations where the player would have some problems explaining why he is tagging along. With Shapechange this can be solved as the player is basically a child (naive) but can appear as an adult.
Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

Fukiko's construction would work for a Sailor Moon type who has a Transform into a superform and a Shapechange that is just for disguise (the Luna Pen, in the anime, the magic cameraphone in the live-action series).

As far as story hooks for Fukiko, one could always have a teenage or older NPC male hero who becomes the object of her fascination. Many magical girls have such a fixation, which is sometimes eventually returned 9as in the case of Usagi?Sailor Moon and Mamoru/Tuxedo Kamen) and sometimes not (Sakura Kinomoto loses out on Yukito -- to her brother of all people.) In fukiko's case, it is complicated by her youth -- a near-adult character would be extremely uncomfortable being the object of the romantic attentions of a pre-teen girl. Nonetheless, people who are destined to be together in spite of intial diifferences are a common theme in magical girl manga (usagi and mamoru were lovers in their previous life and naturally are bound to be brought together in this one) so if Fukiko is patient and can wait a few years she might win her hero after all. (of course, she could also use Shapechange to pose as a teenager and court him that way, which would result in much comedic confusion....)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Though not said explicitly, I don't think, it's hinted in a few places that Fukiko might see Auren as her "knight." Probably the most obvious indication is the illustration for Love Interest. Auren doesn't look too happy about it. ^_~
Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

Clay wrote:Though not said explicitly, I don't think, it's hinted in a few places that Fukiko might see Auren as her "knight." Probably the most obvious indication is the illustration for Love Interest. Auren doesn't look too happy about it. ^_~
Now should he be, Fukiko's much too young for a middle-aged sorcerer in a teenage body.

Ancel taking an interest in Fukiko would be really creepy....