Building a "Kaitou"

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Michael Hopcroft
Worthy Tortoise

Building a "Kaitou"

Post by Michael Hopcroft »

I'm trying to figure out a kaitou (mysterious thief) character for OVA and wondering how to model things like burglary skills and misterection with the ability system. would skill at breaking and entering be reflected in "Hobby; Burglary"? would you then need a spearate skill for "Hobby; Safecracking" or "Hobby: Defeating Security Systems"?

And that leaves out characters whose ability are augmented by supernatural forces, such as Saint Tail or Kaitou Jeanne.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

There are several routes you could take with this. Your idea of taking various Hobbies works. What kind of hobby is too specific, or too broad, is ultimately up to the theme of the game played and the perogative of your GM. Personally, I think "Burglary" would be too broad of a hobby, while "safe cracking" too specific. Take a nod from most other RPGs and go for things like "Open Locks" and "Steal"

As for security systems, it depends on how you beat them. If you actually disarm them, it's quite different from the typical anime way of getting past them with feats of Agility and stealth (Art of Invisibilty)

Now, if you want to know what I would do, I would create a Special Ability: Master Thief and have it apply to all thiefly tasks. Much simpler solution, and one that's taken with other OVA abilities. (Combat SKill covers all weapons, Pilot covers ALL driving skills, Invention covers all sorts of unrelated science skills) I would avoid having it apply to Defense rolls, or to tasks there are already Abilities for (like Art of Invisibility)