PDF Update Policy

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

PDF Update Policy

Post by momosnyx »

First things first: Congratulations to the release of OVA!
Without exageration, I can say that it is one of the best-looking products found on rpgnow.

One question:
Do you have any plans to update the PDF from time to time and allow buyers to re-download it?
I see this as a major strength of a pdf version as it allows for a continuous improvement cycle.

So far, I've found two spelling errors (see below) and have a couple of rule questions that may lead to clarifications.

Spelling errors: (page numbers given according to the pdf, not the numbers used in the book)
p. 72: First line under heading "Power Perks and Flaws":
is: There are several abilities that can be individualized them through Perks and Flaws.

should be: There are several abilities that can be individualized through Perks and Flaws.

p. 82: First line under heading "Range":
is: Exact distances are not important in the OV.A Role-Playing Game.
should be: Exact distances are not important in the OVA Role-Playing Game.

Re: PDF Update Policy

Post by Guest »

momosnyx wrote: One question:
Do you have any plans to update the PDF from time to time and allow buyers to re-download it?
I see this as a major strength of a pdf version as it allows for a continuous improvement cycle.
I second this!
Alternatively, if this is not doable or practical, updates and erratas could be provided on the website.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks so much for your kind words...and your attention to detail! But to answer your question, yes, OVA has actually already had one revision adding bookmarks to the book.

I am in the process of uploading a new version that fixed a few little graphical glitches. I wasn't planning on actually make it an "official" revision, but with these typos brought to light, I will fix those and again reset everyone's download.

Thanks again.
momosnyx
Worthy Tortoise

Post by momosnyx »

Clay wrote:But to answer your question, yes, OVA has actually already had one revision adding bookmarks to the book.
I downloaded the bookmarked version and have been using it for an hour or so. The bookmarks are a great help navigating the document. Thanks!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Glad you do! But here's a dilemma I've had.

I've heard a complaint or two about the size of the file. It seems to cause old printers to cry. I wanted to provide a high quality document that looks really stellar when printed. It's a 300 dpi pdf with a few 600 dpi exceptions.

What do you guys think? Do you like having the high-quality file that can be printed (and zoomed in) to your heart's content? Or would you rather a butchered 150 dpi document that's a bit less pristine (and at least 10-15 megs smaller?)
migo
Shelled Plebeian

Post by migo »

My 80 gig hard drive votes for 300DPI versions.

Is there an option for 2 versions or does RPGNow's distribution model not allow for that?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

RPGnow distributes in a zip form, so it's possible in theory. However, including the low-res version adds some 20 MB to the already larger than average 40 MB zip. I considered adding a text only version, but much of OVA's appeal is in the artwork. I was ill at ease with removing it. I don't think it's fair to the artists who put so much work into the product.

That said, all the text is unlocked, so you can patch together your own text only version if you like.