How does Superspeed work?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Jon D
Shelled Plebeian

How does Superspeed work?

Post by Jon D »

You can't attack on the turn you use it, and you get +2 dice when using it. +2 to what? And how does it work in terms of can I make it across town in a turn? Up a building? Across the bay?

Actually, I have some follow up questions, how does anime jumping work, is it just up to imagery? And can you do a fly by attack kinda deal and if you can with flight, why not superspeed?
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Re: How does Superspeed work?

Post by Joe_Mello »

Jon D wrote:And how does it work in terms of can I make it across town in a turn? Up a building? Across the bay?
Depends on the scale. It's totally up to you and/or the GM.
Jon D wrote:Actually, I have some follow up questions, how does anime jumping work, is it just up to imagery?

Depends on the scale. It's totally up to you and/or the GM. :P
Jon D wrote:And can you do a fly by attack kinda deal and if you can with flight, why not superspeed?
To me, Super Speed is the equivalent of an action in Star Wars d20 called "All Out Movement." Basically, you're putting the foot to the floor and focusing on nothing but going as fast as conceivably possible. Attacking would require slowing down. Same thing would happen if you were flying at Super Speed (which you can do)

The +2 is a bonus to any check that would benefit from Super Speed. I as a GM do not see any reason why a PC could "attack" at Super Speed just as a straight bull rush. Obviously, the rolls would need to be adjusted (eg, no bonuses from Combat Skill or Weapon, et al), but there's no reason why you couldn't weaponize momentum.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

I'm his GM and we figured that "anime-jumping" is up to us, based upon the style of game. The confusing part of Super Speed was not being able to do anything against it, leading us to imagine the lightning-fast ninja warrior flashing by as they slash their target, the victim shocked and not even realizing they're dead until 10,000 PSI of blood starts to jet into the air! :mrgreen: But, Quick can cover that just fine, offering a massive initiative.

It's really the "+2" bonus that we're not clear on how to use.
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Core book (emphasis mine) wrote:For each Level of Super Speed, add a +2 bonus to any actions that require you to travel. While in this state, others will have little time to react to your presence. Only if they are prepared for you can they try to stop or attack you, but even then it requires an opposed Speed check. (You include your Super Speed bonus). As a downfall, you are unable to perform any other actions while in Super Speed state.
The lightning-fast ninja scenario can't happen, unless it's a Katanagatari game, in which case Super Speed is ridiculously broken
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Joe_Mello wrote:
Core book (emphasis mine) wrote:For each Level of Super Speed, add a +2 bonus to any actions that require you to travel. While in this state, others will have little time to react to your presence. Only if they are prepared for you can they try to stop or attack you, but even then it requires an opposed Speed check. (You include your Super Speed bonus). As a downfall, you are unable to perform any other actions while in Super Speed state.
The lightning-fast ninja scenario can't happen, unless it's a Katanagatari game, in which case Super Speed is ridiculously broken
"...others will have little time to react to you presence." Also, they need to be prepared AND need an opposed Speed (which I assume is Super Speed check). Which means they can attack while using Super Speed, otherwise, they wouldn't need it. It's a little goofy and needs some kind of fix: if I need SS to attack a person using SS, then why can't a person attack using SS...? :shock:
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Why do you assume "react" and "attack" are the same word?
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Joe_Mello wrote:Why do you assume "react" and "attack" are the same word?
What are they reacting to? Can they attack? It's rather unclear. It mentions you can't take other actions. Are they using Defense? That leads one to assume an attack. Attacking? Wait, they need an opposed check and Super Speed can't use that. Unless, they're just making a generic "Speed Roll" (which has no clear explanation). Again, it's unclear.

I agree that having SS add to attacks is broken and would make everyone a speedster. We're just trying to figure out the whole point of the Ability and how it works mechanically. We have some ideas, but wanted Clay's input.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Super Speed was always sort of a misfit Ability. Because OVA's scale for Abilities is very finite, it was impossible to create, say, a vehicle that was demonstratively faster than a human being. My fix was Super Speed, that gave characters the ability to be really fast without affecting attacks and other basic actions. You could just move. Fast. You couldn't pull off Flash-like antics, or cram in 20 attacks in a round.

With the new scale rules, the Super Speed ability is being dropped. I doubt many people used it anyway. The way it was written prevented many things it could be useful for, like aforementioned "Flash" characters.

But if you're going to use it, think of it as Quick, used exclusively for traversing distance, and double the amount of dice you roll from it. Super Speed +2 means you get FOUR bonus dice. It's basically an all-out superhuman run, or if you're a vehicle, just being a fast car.

Scale, as described on the blog, is a much cleaner way to handle such things.

(Super jumping, for the record, is fluff. Since everyone can pretty much meet everyone in a combat round, such things aren't really relevant. If it really becomes obvious one character should be super-jumping and the other not, have the bumbling character make acrobatic or quickness rolls to accomplish what a ninja would do effortlessly. It's the same reason Arasuni shouldn't bother rolling to lift a television, but Braun might.)
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Clay wrote: (Super jumping, for the record, is fluff. Since everyone can pretty much meet everyone in a combat round, such things aren't really relevant. If it really becomes obvious one character should be super-jumping and the other not, have the bumbling character make acrobatic or quickness rolls to accomplish what a ninja would do effortlessly. It's the same reason Arasuni shouldn't bother rolling to lift a television, but Braun might.)
That makes sense.