A few OVA questions

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

A few OVA questions

Post by Bubba333 »

Our games have been going very, very well but we have a few questions:

1) How does Super Speed work? Yeah, that was asked before, but it's still a little...odd.

2) Am I correct in assuming that Strong doesn't add to melee-based Power Moves?

3) Do you take Trigger for each ability, giving it a 1-3 rating? Or do you take it one time for all Abilities that require a Trigger?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: A few OVA questions

Post by Clay »

1) See here.

2) Actually it does. Strong adds to everything that isn't ranged or otherwise inappropriate to be added to. Chi blast? No. E-Honda hundred hand slap? Go for it!

3) The rules are vague on this. I'd say it depends. If the Abilities are relatively similar, I'd lump them under the same trigger. If they're vastly different, use different instances of it. I'll think on this and make a stand one way or the other in the Revised Edition.
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Clay wrote:I'll think on this and make a stand one way or the other in the Revised Edition.
Thanks!

One other thing, can you take a Special Flaw for Power Move that requires you to use "Transformation"? The reason I ask is that our Lunar Exalted run out of Transformation points very quickly and we wanted Power Moves to be like Charms in Exalted. Would this be game-breaking?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

This won't work if you want some Power Moves to be available all the time, but if it's a lump part of the transformation, put it under the "Transformation" Ability like Fukiko does.

Otherwise, Give it the Requirement flaw. Should be fine balance wise if you don't expect to be transformed at least half the time you're fighting.
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

I made a Special Ability for Lunars called "Partial Transformation". You roll that Ability plus Willpower (if you have it) and the difficulty if based upon the level of the Ability "borrowed" from Transformation. So, if you want to use your Flight (wings) +4 Ability from your Transformation Ability, it's an 8 difficulty; a +5 would be a 10. Where the Power Move question came from was for something that might require your wings (such as firing hardened feathers like a rain of daggers). Instead of making a player use Transformation points on that Power Move I was going to say they could make it and then have it have the requirement that their wings have to be manifested. Make sense?

Oh! I think we've been handling Power Move incorrectly. I thought you had to buy Power Move for each separate move, but after looking at the example characters I noticed they took the Ability once and then had a bunch of moves. So, if I have Power Move +3, I could give a character 5 separate moves, all at the +3, without buying it three times, correct? (I apologize if I'm out of it...I've been wicked sick! :oops:)

Thanks!
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

Bubba333 wrote:Oh! I think we've been handling Power Move incorrectly. I thought you had to buy Power Move for each separate move, but after looking at the example characters I noticed they took the Ability once and then had a bunch of moves. So, if I have Power Move +3, I could give a character 5 separate moves, all at the +3, without buying it three times, correct?
Corrrrrrrrrrect.
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Doh! :wink:
Joe_Mello
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Joe_Mello »

IIRC, a lot of people screw up Power Move, so you're not the only one.

Now see, I subscribe to the "New Powers as the Plot Demands" style of game play, so I sidestep this problem all together. 8)
Joe_Mello: Could you make a common sense roll, please, Ryu?
Ryushikaze: With Smart?
Joe_Mello: Sure
*Ryushikaze rolls*
Joe_Mello: SHE'S DEAD!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

That sounds cool and I can see it opening a lot of inspired action.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Yes, it's part of the reason for doing away with Power Move altogether in the Revised Edition.

Hopefully with one damage-dealing Ability people won't get so confused.

...but I think the idea of having a suite of moves under one Ability is just foreign to people weaned on stuff like Champions, where you build attack by attack.

We'll see I guess!
Bubba333
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Bubba333 »

Clay wrote:Y
...but I think the idea of having a suite of moves under one Ability is just foreign to people weaned on stuff like Champions, where you build attack by attack.
And a dice pool was foreign to those raised on D&D...and so forth. I wouldn't worry about it. Between you and the fans, OVA's just gotten slicker and easier to understand, you know?