Magic Girls, Ecchi and beyond ...

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Chairman Aeon
Shelled Plebeian

Magic Girls, Ecchi and beyond ...

Post by Chairman Aeon »

I know you have the Mecha and Fantasy genres in your sites, but what else does Wise Turtle have up it's sleeves?

I've got to admit that one of my favourite things right now is parody and bizarro stuff. (Think Excel Saga.) But since a character can vary from show to show I'm not sure how you'd handle it in a game. Maybe give a theme for the next game at the end of the current one and allow the player to reconfigure their character for the theme?

Which then brings up another question. For a book like OVA Fantasy, is it going to be style and mood based or be rules crunchy. How will it help me run a game based on Lodoss War or Slayers or Bastard respectively?

Iain.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Shoujo is another planned book for sure. Ninja and Samurai, Boy's Manga/Anime, and others are loosely planned (and may or may not ever come into existence).

You could have the characters regenerated between sessions, yes. Or you could use the Transformation ability coupled with Trigger to add stats depending on the current universe. This way you can keep your character's "true" stats apart from his universe specific stats.

Side note: Transformation is an Ability that grants more abilities upon transforming, most often used for Magical Girls. Trigger makes another Ability (or abilities) dormant unless certain conditions are met.

Finally, the genre books are a little of both. Roughly 2/3 original settings and another third with genre specific rules and guidelines. The Fantasy book, for instance, will have two fantasy worlds to take part in, or you could ignore them and modify the included Equipment and Magic Spell lists for whatever you choose. There's also new rules here and there specific to Fantasy.
Chairman Aeon
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Chairman Aeon »

So Transformation would work for Sailor Moon (pick a Sailor Scout) and Transformation with Trigger would work for Bastard (Lucien/Dark Schneider)?

And when will it be up on RPGNow? :D

Iain.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I want to say the 31st, but the artist working on the last three images has stopped replying to my emails...

Ah well :/ I'm hoping to get a reply soon. He SAID he sent me the sketches, but I never received any such email >_<

And yes, you have the right idea. In fact, if you look up the Miho sample in this forum somewhere, you'll see her "dark side" is handled the same way.