Any news on when OVA Mecha and OVA Fantasy will hit shelves?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Any news on when OVA Mecha and OVA Fantasy will hit shelves?

Post by Jandar »

The subject line kind of says it all.

I've wanted to ask Clay whether he could let us know when, approximately, OVA Mecha and OVA Fantasy could be released. Any dates?

I haven't seen any real, hard news about them on the Wise Turtle website. So far, I only know the titles. I guess that these two supplements will come out some months apart, but hopefully not too long apart.

I'd definitely support supplements and campaign settings released for OVA. So please keep me posted.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Hey. Sorry for my general lack of forum-ness lately.

To directly answer your question, I'm afraid the reason there's not any real, hard news is that there isn't any real, hard news.

OVA mecha is receiving most of my attention at the moment and will almost definitely be the first book released. Fantasy will come along after, but I guarantee more than a few months will separate them. Acquiring art is a slow process, to say nothing of the writing itself. I can't really estimate how long it will be before either book is out.

I was tempted to put up a summer release date for OVA mecha...but I'm pretty sure that's unlikely at this point.

Sorry to disappoint.
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

I'm not disappointed.

It's much better for game writers to take their time. I know that from my own projects, some of which - like movie scripts - basically went through several rounds of rewrites.

Saying that a book is not finished yet or will still take a while to be really completed is, IMHO, much better than announcing a book for a given date, and then seeing it postponed again and again and again, until several years have gone by, the market has changed, and the fans have moved on to another game in the meantime.

The latter I've seen happen to a couple of interesting projects, too.

Apart from that: Go mecha!
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

It's a good thing I didn't announce a release date for OVA and then push it back nearly a whole year in monthly increments or anything. :shock:

But thanks for the vote of support. :D
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

Clay wrote:It's a good thing I didn't announce a release date for OVA and then push it back nearly a whole year in monthly increments or anything. :shock:

But thanks for the vote of support. :D
As a related question: Are you planning to put out more short adventure PDFs, like the Starstone Treasure?

You could run another writing contest, and/or eventually set up a series where the same core NPCs or Villains (like Zurkrieg, Nazo, Acacia) appear again and again.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Probably not. Response to the first contest was negligible...I don't even disclose the number of entries due to its embarrassingly minute amount. (No, it wasn't one.)

In the end, I don't think boxed adventures are really appropriate for OVA since it's very, very difficult to prepare for and entertain the kaleidescope of characters that will be thrown at them.

But who knows. I definitely won't write off the possibility. It just is not planned at this time.
Jandar
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Jandar »

Too bad. Indeed I liked The Starstone Treasure and ran at least the first 50% of it at a convention.

The only trouble I had with it was that my players instantly foresaw that the genetically altered agents belonged to Zurkrieg's organization, and that one of my player-characters was a Tokyo policeman by profession, so the whole plot of Zurkrieg wanting to pay / bribe the player-characters didn't work with a cop in the group (which proves your point, but it's an odd coincidence).