A "Modern" RPG community

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

A "Modern" RPG community

Post by Clay »

I grew up with mailing lists and web forums, so I tend to approach what makes an RPG community through those eyes. That said, I know things are different now. Social Media is a thing that's not going anywhere, and there are countless different ways to gather and share ideas.

So where do you guys like to go to talk shop about RPGs? Where do you wish you could find Wise Turtle and OVA, but currently can't? Reddit? Discord? Somewhere else?

Please don't say Facebook. :lol:

Likewise, do you feel like the current Wise Turtle forums could use sprucing up? Does that even matter to you, or does circa 2000 phPBB suit just fine?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: A "Modern" RPG community

Post by Sabersonic »

While I'm too young for mailing lists (spam all but guaranteed that I'd stay away from stuff like that), I'm old enough to recall when certain segments of a forum were dedicated to rolepalying.

Granted, they were less structured and more free-form to which many an argument arose, but they were possible. And it's only recently that I've found myself on discord servers, though I wouldn't exactly call them the more efficient when it comes to trying to join a campaign, let alone make one from scratch, so there's a bit of an issue on that front.

Personally I'd just like to see some support for OVA centric dice rollers or any kind of dice roller customization for a particular tabletop engine (Though so far I really have no issues with the OVA rules; pretty straight forward when it comes to dice modifiers). Though I wouldn't mind something that makes hyperlinks a bit more visible, but that's as far as I can recall with some experience.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
TrueBlueCorvid
Shelled Plebeian

Post by TrueBlueCorvid »

Discord is definitely where I'm finding myself more and more for communities. A lot of people are using it and Discord servers are relatively easy to set up and manage. (One of the reasons I've come onto the forums just now is to ask if anyone had the idea to set one up, in fact!)

I like the forums just fine, but it could use a bit of an update.
(Formerly StarRaven! Sorry about that.)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

If you check wiseturtle.com, you'll find an invite link to the new Wise Turtle Discord!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

Discord is the only 'new fangled' social media I use. That said they have OVA friendly dice bots on it and I ran an entire game through discord.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

sniffycrab wrote:Discord is the only 'new fangled' social media I use. That said they have OVA friendly dice bots on it and I ran an entire game through discord.
Really? Where?
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad