Magic that changes perks/flaws

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Lucaseht
Shelled Plebeian

Magic that changes perks/flaws

Post by Lucaseht »

First post.

How would you rule an ability that applies perks/flaws to abilities and attacks? Probably something similar to Magic but perks and flaws work a little different than abilities and weaknesses.

The ideia came to light when I was rewatching some cenes from Re:Creators. Magane have the power to bend reality through lies. In one of her cenes, she basically applied the Cancel Flaw to nullify one of her enemies attacks, rendering it useless against her during that fight.

With that said, I was thinking about how to recreate that effect. Even if you come with a solution different than apply Cancel Flaw, I am still curious how would you rule an ability to manipulate perks and flaws.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Magic that changes perks/flaws

Post by Sabersonic »

The only solution I can come up with is the "Magic, Witchcraft" ability. Though it is normally able to cast Weaknesses on characters, what's to say that it can't cast a Unique Weakness that effectively performs a Cancel Flaw on a particular attack?
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Lucaseht
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Lucaseht »

Ok. So instead of creating a new type of magic, its easier to just create Unique Weaknesses to apply similar effects of Flaws and have an exception that can be applied to specific attacks.

What would be the Endurance cost to apply Weakness Cancel(X Person) to an specific attack?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

I can only assume that its akin to the rules for "Magic, Witchcraft" which is, in turn, akin to "Magic, Arcane" but with a maximum of Level 3. Thus using the table as described in said ability and compare that to the level of the former ability.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Welcome to the forums!

This is never explicitly stated in the rules, but each +5 or -5 of Perks and Flaws is roughly equivalent to +1 or -1 in Ability/Weakness Levels. So you can use that as a starting point. (If you try to "take apart" certain Abilities, like Healer, you'll see they have built in flaws like "Concentration" and that is factored into their costs.

All that said, generally applying Flaws on the fly is probably an overcomplicated means to an end. It'd be easier to just invent a Weakness that says something like "Target cannot use one Attack Ability of users choice" or perhaps even better, Cast a Arcane Magic spell of Resistance to whatever powers that attack on yourself.