Help with Ranged attacks

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Help with Ranged attacks

Post by markodude »

Ok, here's a short question: I've to design a couple of special ranged attacks:

Ranged (human bullet) - this variation means that the character is propelled against the target, and after the attack he will find himself right in front of the enemy (even if the attack was parried). This means he cannot use it again ranged against this enemy, but he can use it to move around.

Ranged ("get over here" edition) - like Scorpion from Mortak Kombat the attack is ranged but it is also some sort of harpoon, and IF it hits he brings the enemy close to the attacker.

Ok, rulewise hod do you make them? I think the first seems more like a 0 cost modification, the other... a 5 cost Perk? Or can be done in a different way?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Help with Ranged attacks

Post by Sabersonic »

Alright, let's see how much help I can be.

Ranged "Get Over Here" - Well, at the most basic, it sounds like Paralyzing with possibly either No Damage or Feather Blow to indicate that it's not a lethal enough attack. The whole "yank them over" can be considered fluff.

Ranged "Human Bullet" - This one's rather tricky. Well, tricky if one didn't want to use the Teleport at +2 at minimum. I can only assume that it would be a basic Ranged Attack with the Unique Perk of "Character Appears before Target" or something to that effect since it's sounds more like a useful side effect rather than an unwanted consequence. Probably +3 at minimum.

Hopefully other, more experienced users, would help either clarify or conjure up a better solution. If not, hopefully my suggestions would help refine your ideas.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Ok for the first, about the second....
I can only assume that it would be a basic Ranged Attack with the Unique Perk of "Character Appears before Target" or something to that effect since it's sounds more like a useful side effect rather than an unwanted consequence. Probably +3 at minimum.
It' s not like teleport as he cannot pass through obstacles and even if useful it is still a nuisance since he is forced to go in melee immediately after the attack, so he loses of the benefits of fighting from distance. He cannot choose that so I think this is like Ranged:Str powered - useful but not always. I'd reduce the perk cost but that's my idea.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Personally, I would combine these into a single new +5 Perk that went something like:

Closer (+5) An Ability with this Perk allows the user to immediately enter the same space as the target, eliminating any "Ranged" status. Whether this is zooming to their position directly or tractor-beaming them to the user's current position is ultimately up to the flavor of the Ability. Whether the user and target are "Ranged" to other combatants also depends on the specifics of the Ability.