Companion rulings

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Trios
Shelled Plebeian

Companion rulings

Post by Trios »

So i am debating having a guitar be my characters companion. My DM is saying if I do this then if the guitar is stolen and enough time passes it can betray its loyalty to me and become loyal to the person who stole it. I feel that this completely countermands the books definition of companion, and undermines the ability as a whole. I wanna know what other DMs think...anybody wanna weigh in?
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Companion rulings

Post by sniffycrab »

A companion is derfined as a free thinking entity. So even though it is a guitar, it would be a COMPANION and not GEAR. Though the two overlap.

I had a character that had a Talking magic sword as his companion. It had a similar issue but the DM ruled he was a Companion with his own health rating and abilities rather then a piece of gear. If my talking sword was stolen, they would have to use the mind control power or something before turning my talking sword against me. I think your guitar should be like this.
Trios
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Trios »

I would definitely agree with that...i just dont think the companion would just become loyal to whoever possess it after a certain amount of time...that seemed to counter the always loyal and faithful component of the description
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I have to agree that "turning the guitar against you" is arbitrary and against the spirit of the Ability.

That's not to say companions CAN'T turn against you—but it's the sort of thing that would be a major plot point and discussed between you and the GM. This isn't something the GM should just do to you (anymore than he can arbitrarily cripple you, or take away your wealth, or any other facet of your character.) That's not to say negative things can't happen, but by spending points on Abilities, I think there's a reasonable expectation that you can KEEP them, outside of a plot point for a single adventure or somesuch.