Component - a new Ability for complex combatants

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Component - a new Ability for complex combatants

Post by Clay »

As a diehard JRPG fan, I can't express enough how giddy the whole Component idea makes me. Especially with old school RPGs before lots of interesting mechanics were added, multipart boss fights were always the most interesting to me. Do you focus on reducing its power by taking down the extra parts or focus on defeating the "core" as quickly as possible?

In the context of OVA, it also lets you buff boss fights without having to resort to inconsequential minions. Dragons don't have sidekicks, so having the dragon form his own sidekicks is very cool.

(As an aside, when I think of multi-part enemies, I always am reminded of Chrono Trigger's final boss. [SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER] Lavos's final form is made up of a big ducklike monster and two floating "Bits" that, from repeated JRPG exposure, are immediately recognized as the "extra" parts of the boss. But it's all a ruse, the main body is actually one of the bits, and defeating the big monster target only results in it coming back to life.)
StarRaven
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Component - a new Ability for complex combatants

Post by StarRaven »

Clay wrote:In the context of OVA, it also lets you buff boss fights without having to resort to inconsequential minions. Dragons don't have sidekicks, so having the dragon form his own sidekicks is very cool.
T H I S

A million inconsequential minions in every boss fight is definitely a classic anime thing from what I remember, but yeah, exactly this.