It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Homebrew Weapons (Modern and sci-fi)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:35 pm 
Shelled Plebeian

I like what I see for the list of weapons but there is one thing that bothers me. Guns of various type impart properties to compensate for recoil, range and accuracy, but not damage, as a whole. So with that in mind

22 caliber (.22 inch)
Effective x2

9mm, 357 (.357 inch)
Effective x4

45 Caliber (.45 inch)
Effective x7

50 Caliber (1/2 In. Radius)
Effective x9

Revolver is not more powerful then a clip fed gun, but it does have one very good quality. With a revolver, you can do what is called Fanning. Using two hands you can rip loose all six round in the revolver within 1 second, Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Sy3-KKrqc
Fanning: Effective x5, Endurance cost of 25 It will take a lot out of you.

Rifles with a longer barrel stabilizes the round and insures the greater distance and accuracy.
Use Accurate

Machine gun gives up accuracy for putting a whole lot of rounds down range.
Use Effective to represent this behavior

Sniper rifle (Military grade) use 50 cal rounds and have a range that can be measures in kilometers or even miles.

Other then that it is a matter of taste.

Well what do you think?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:03 pm 
Exalted Amphibian

robert_wellinghurst wrote:
I like what I see for the list of weapons but there is one thing that bothers me. Guns of various type impart properties to compensate for recoil, range and accuracy, but not damage, as a whole. So with that in mind

22 caliber (.22 inch)
Effective x2

9mm, 357 (.357 inch)
Effective x4

45 Caliber (.45 inch)
Effective x7

50 Caliber (1/2 In. Radius)
Effective x9

Revolver is not more powerful then a clip fed gun, but it does have one very good quality. With a revolver, you can do what is called Fanning. Using two hands you can rip loose all six round in the revolver within 1 second, Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Sy3-KKrqc
Fanning: Effective x5, Endurance cost of 25 It will take a lot out of you.

Rifles with a longer barrel stabilizes the round and insures the greater distance and accuracy.
Use Accurate

Machine gun gives up accuracy for putting a whole lot of rounds down range.
Use Effective to represent this behavior

Sniper rifle (Military grade) use 50 cal rounds and have a range that can be measures in kilometers or even miles.

Other then that it is a matter of taste.

Well what do you think?

The thing I don't really like is how you have it it would make all the guns cost END to use. I understand that guns are very powerful IRL but in game I feel their does need to be some kind of balance. 9 effective is great but with no flaws that is an end cost of 45! That means a normal character would shot once and then be almost out of end.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:58 am 
Exalted Amphibian

I think that I have a potential solution to the whole END issue, at least when it comes to the Effective Perk: Cap DX at 5.

Here are some links to express that in detail:
Clay's own words
Attack Levels quantified

For the Revolver "Fanning", instead of Effective x5 it'll be more efficient as Overwhelming with Inaccurate x2 at the very least compared to a regular Revolver Attack. You're putting alot of lead downrange, but it's not going to be as accurate as single round shooting. Come to think of it, Ammunition would be just as appropriate since it dries up your pistol round reserves real quick. Not only that, but considering the nature of revolver fanning, there needs to be a Unique flaw or at least an Elaborate Gestures with a notation to show that both hands are occupied when in use.

Machine gun would be just the same, especially since nowadays LMGs are largely a suppressing fire weapon then anything else. Probably add in an Area Effect or two to show that it covers an area with lead rain VERY well.

For Rifles such as Sniper Rifles, well it will depend upon the application. For example the Sniper Rifle would have numerous levels in Accuracy, but will require flaws such as Concentration and/or Open to Attack to show that this is not a direct engagement weapon but rather another support weapon that isn't really suited for the kind of engagements that require Assault Rifles and/or pistols for snap-action defense. Assault Rifles are like more manageable machineguns with their burstfire abilities at the cost of range due to the nature of the intermediate round. So with their usual semi-automatic fire variation, there should also be a burst/auto attack variation that would have at least an Area Effect perk to show that it can indeed send alot of lead down range over a wide arc, but would have to balance it out with either/both inaccurate and/or ammunition to showcase how much of a bullet hog the burst/auto attack variation is. Battle/Designated Marksman Rifles are basically vanilla rifles with one or two levels of Accurate and little else if anything in terms of perks.

Yeah, this is what you get when you spend your free time watching documentaries online and on the History Channel...

And in case it wasn't clear by now that the blue fonts of my recent posts are to indicate hyperlinks, for my UCE Vimana-type Urban Rapid Translation Maneuver Unit entry, how accurate were my Ability and Weakness choices for replicating the 3D Maneuver gear?

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:26 am 
Exalted Amphibian

Nice job with the UCE Vimana-type Urban Rapid Translation Maneuver Unit by the way. I had been trying to think of a way to make something like ODM gear and that gave me a good place to start :)

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:07 am 
Exalted Amphibian

And I just remembered another planned weakness for my non-PA Environmental Armor designs, to be specific the Ineptitude "Manual Dexterity" to indicate how bulky the gloves are. Oh well, the Kavacha-class Environmental Main Battle Body Armor has been altered to reflect this. Not too sure if I should add this to the Járngreipr-class Combat Body Armor to be honest.

Anywho, might as well add in a few more Gear equipment.
Quote:
UCE Tarnkappe-type Optical Stealth Ghillie

The standard optical cloak system of the UCE, the Tarnkappe-type is effectively an outer garment strapped onto most Combat Armors to enhance their stealth capabilities both conventional and invisibility. The only caveat is that with rapid movement, the optical stealth capabilities are reduced significantly and thus one cannot move openly without compromising their own position and is more ideal for stationary operations such as overwatch and sniping.

(3 Gear)
Level - Ability
  • +2 - Art of Invisibility
  • +3 - Invisibility
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Unique (Half Invisibility when moving)

Quote:
UCE Liahona-type Pan-App Vanbrace

A staple of Off-World Settlement development, the Liahona-type is a forearm mounted Personal Computer and multi-tool applicator through the use of Hard Light-style Force Walls and Femtosecond Laser produced Plasma Voxels.

The computer aspect of the Liahona-type allows scanner analysis of the environment in general and of a local space in particular to allow for the appropriate response to an otherwise unknown obstacle. The various computer databases ranges from medical, to construction, and even electronic warfare in certain cases such as when otherwise incompatible technology either alien or ancient prevents further exploration. Though a flexible touch OLED screen is typically utilized as a backup interface medium, Femtosecond Lasers are utilized to project a rudimentary but rugged Plasma Voxel-projected Hologram interface that is generally safe to the touch.

However, when extra power or a decreased laser time cycle are introduced, then the Plasma Voxels becomes a plasma surface that is able to cut through nearly all forms of solid matter. The only limitation to the Plasma Voxel is that it requires the presence of an atmosphere. Hard Light-style Force Walls do not have such a requirement. Still, Hard Light-style Force Walls do not make adequate barriers nor an effective cutting surface. But rather for blunt force and grappling of objects for torque.

(4 Gear)
Voxel Cutter
Affinity, Energy. Armor Piercing x2 (+10); Effective (+5); Impairing (+10). Activation (-10); Offensive (-5); Requirement, Atmosphere (-5)
Hard Light Impact
Affinity, Energy. Barrier Buster (+5); Stunning (+10). Activation (-10); Low Penetration (-5)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Endurance Reserve "Mjölnite Capacitor"
  • +2 - Intuitive
  • +2 - Perceptive
  • +1 - Smart
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Non-Transferable Use "Mjölnite Capacitor"

Quote:
UCE Talaria-class Astrogator Armor

The standard armored spacesuit suit of UCE combat astrogators, the Talaria-class allows Space Force personnel environmental protection against the harsh realities of space and survive. Though not ideal for front line combat, the armor instead designed to provide ballistic protection from micrometoroids and similar space debris, the Talaria-class does offer adequate levels of protection from hostile KEW rounds if only for a few moments before the protection of the armor is compromised. Like the Megingjörð-class Main Battle Power Armor and Kavacha-class Environmental Main Battle Body Armor, the Talaria-class has a Brevor and armored collar to protect the neck from such impacts.

Instead, the Talaria-class allows for a more immersive, sapient-machine interface with the combat spacecraft for greater battle space awareness and make the craft even more like a part of the astrogator's body. Though the type of HMD projected onto the helmet may vary from spacecraft to spacecraft, it none-the-less increases the efficiency of the combat astrogator to achieve mission objectives. The only downside of the Talaria-class is that its life support system is limited, instead designed to be augmented or even supplanted by the life support of the spacecraft in question when the umbilicus is connected and sealed with the Talaria-class itself.

(1 Gear)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Armored “Micro-Meteoroid Protection”
  • +3 - Life Support “Space”
  • +1 - Perceptive
  • +1 - Pilot
  • +3 - Resistance “G-Countering Seam Tube Network” (G-Forces)
  • +1 - Unique “Radio”
  • +1 - Unique “Umbilicus Connector Port"
Level - Weakness
  • -2 - Bizarre Appearance
  • -2 - Ineptitude “Manual Dexterity”
  • -2 - Restricted Freedom "Conditional Ownership"
  • -2 - Servitude "Conditional Ownership"
  • -2 - Vulnerability "Directed Energy Weapons"

Quote:
UCE Velificatio-type VeriMorphTech Exo-Augment Frame

A specialized Class-1 Personal Amplifier Suit, despite the classification of the Velificatio-type it is less the ability to augment the physical abilities of the combat astrogator but rather enhance the survivability of said military personnel. Once connected to a compatible combat spacecraft cockpit, the Velificatio-type transforms into the flight controls of the combat craft in question which allows not only universal integration of flight control, but also more streamlined training of combat pilots in general due to familiar controls.

Depending upon the operational environment in question, once the pilot is forced to abandon their vehicle, the Velificatio-type is able to operate more efficiently in that particular medium than if the pilot themselves are capable on their own, even if only to increase their chance of friendly recovery. As such, there are different variations of the Velificatio-type in production: Cosmo-Velificatio, Strato-Velificatio, and Aquario-Velificatio for Space, Air, and Underwater environments respectfully.

Cosmo-Velificatio
(2 Gear)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +1 - Evasive
  • +1 - Quick "Carbon Nanotube Actuator Fibers"
  • +1 - Spaceflight
  • +1 - Vigorous "Molten Carbonate Fuel Cells (MCFC)"
Level - Weakness
  • -1 - Bizarre Appearance
  • -1 - Restricted Freedom "Conditional Ownership"
  • -1 - Servitude "Conditional Ownership"

Strato-Velificatio
(2 Gear)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +1 - Evasive
  • +1 - Flight
Level - Weakness

Aquario-Velificatio
(2 Gear)
Level - Ability
  • +1 - Agile
  • +1 - Evasive
  • +1 - Swimming
Level - Weakness

Yeah, I admit, the last one was straight out of Macross Frontier. What can I say? I kinda like the concept and seems FAR more economical to implement en-mass than Gundam's Core Bloc System.

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:31 am 
Exalted Amphibian

Well I just remembered a few things from my entry into the Ichaival-type Battle Laser Blaster: One is that due to the nature of the Gauss Launcher's Kick Charge, it utilizes a Blowback Operation since there doesn't need to be a need for high powered cartridges since, well, Gauss Launcher. It just needs enough of a kick for the piston to get the shot moving.

The other one is a Diamondoid Carbon Stilletto-style Bayonet.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Department of Redundancy in the first half, but when has that ever stopped Anime?
Quote:
UCE Carnwennan-type Carbon Bayonet

The standard, non-powered anti-armor bayonet of the UCE, the Carnwennan-type serves as an emergency backup melee weapon for various UCE small arms that have a compatible bayonet mount. With the primary construction of the blade as diamondoid carbon, it is hard enough to penetrate most types of hard plate combat body armor while its stiletto design allows the blade to take advantage of the gaps in body armor for more efficient penetration if needed.

However, due to the design of the bayonet, it is inadequate for any defensive slash attacks as it is more of an offensive stabbing weapon.

Armor Piercing x2 (+10); Effective (+5). Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon (-5); Offensive (-5); Weapon (-5)

And I'll just use this space to introduce an allied faction in this particular setting of mine, the Averon Alliance.
Quote:
A2FSN AEDPUA P18

The Arme d'énergie dirigée par la Défense personnelle de l'usine d'armes Averon-Calais Projet 18, or AEDPUA P17 is the standard PDW of the Alliance Security Enforcement Organization, the military arm of the Averon Alliance of Federated Settlement Nations or more commonly the Averon Alliance. The AEDPUA P18 utilizes the same Balise Légère cartridge technology that so often characterize Franco-Averon Directed Energy Small Arms in the form of a top-break revolver to which the individual capacitor rounds are loaded via a moon clip, speed strip, or speed loader though optionally they may be placed individually if the user is so inclined. Rarely, and never for civilian use, the cylindrical bloc can be ejected and replaced with an unused bloc with unspent capacitor rounds.

As a Personal Defense Weapon, the AEDPUA P18 is largely ideal for Close Quarters defense when the use of a carbine bullpup would be ill-advised such as for combat astrogators, artillery crew, and armored combat vehicle operators. Though it is able to perform at full automatic fire for a weapon of its size, it is largely advisable to utilize the AEDPUA P18 in semi-automatic fire for endurance shooting. The effective range of the PDW, however, can be extended with the use of the Usine Nationale d'Armurerie d'Averon-Laon's UNA Averon-Laon Stabilizer which not only allows for gun straps for grater stability and a butt stock for accuracy, but also the ability to extend the effective range of the AEDPUA P18 with external and secondary lenses though rarely any greater than 200 meters.

Laser Revolver, Semi-Automatic
Affinity, Energy. Effective (+5); Ranged (+0). Weapon (+5)
Laser Revolver, Auto-Fire
Affinity, Energy. Effective (+5); Overwhelming (+15); Ranged (+0). Ammunition x2 (-10); Inaccurate (-5); Weapon (-5)

Stabilized Laser Revolver, Semi-Automatic
Affinity, Energy. Accurate (+5); Effective (+5); Ranged (+0). Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon (-5); Weapon (+5)
Stabilized Laser Revolver, Auto-Fire
Affinity, Energy. Effective (+5); Overwhelming (+15); Ranged (+0). Ammunition x2 (-10); Elaborate Gestures, Both Hands on Weapon (-5); Weapon (-5)

EDIT: I just remembered that I had the Underlang Gauss Launcher to be pump action rather be automatically fed rounds. Boy, do I feel stupid.

Oh well, something to know for later entries.

Rest in Peace, Dad

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: Clay, Jade Go to page Previous  1, 2