How to handle regeneration

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

shadowreaper5
Shelled Plebeian

How to handle regeneration

Post by shadowreaper5 »

A common trope in anime and super hero generes is that some characters recover from damage quickly(sometimes even in seconds). The rules for extra reserves of Endurance exist, as do rules for Barrier, which trades Endurance for damage mitigation.

I am making precon characters for a one shot to introduce my gaming group to OVA and the wonders of acting like an over the top anime protagonist. To wit, a school where people are taught all of the things they need to know to be, essentially, an anime main character. Things like mech piloting, civilian management, identifying monsters, the best way to spread your magical shots, and of course, Japanese, English, math, science,etc. Basically a regular Japanese school curriculum with extra skill/power related classes on the side. Super powers (ala american super heroes) are also possible.

Thus, I want to see if the most common super power behind strength, flight, and telekinesis is possible to stat, and if so, how would it work. I am not sure about the chart scaling though, it seems rather strong.

Here's what I have just from spitballing:

Regeneration:
You are able to heal from damage taken. From minor scratches to grevious wounds your body can fix itself up, either through arcane, supernatural, or technological means. This could be anything from a Troll's natural ability to heal or nanites in your blood. At level 1 , you are able to heal slightly better than normal individuals. At level 3 or more , you are able to do things like pull a spear out of you and heal without. At level 5, you can even do things like regrow body parts and bounce back from fatal injuries. Though just because you can heal from a destroyed brain doesn't necessarily mean that you'll be the same person when you finish healing, nor does it mean that extreme healing wont have it's own costs. Below is a table with examples:

1 - Regenerate 1 damage per round
2 - Regenerate 2 damage per round
3 - Regenerate 5 damage per round
4 - Regenerate 10 damage per round
5 - Regenerate 20 damage per round

Note that the DM is encouraged to a)restrict who has access to level 4 or higher regeneration, as the base health level of a character is 40, and 10 and 20 are significant amounts of that health. Also the DM is encouraged to add complications for recovery from serious wounds.
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Re: How to handle regeneration

Post by Blobathehutt »

There is already a heal in the base game by the way. But over all this seems fine to me but I do have to say that it will slow the game down a bit by having to to change your hp total every round you regenerate. With that said if you dont mind the constant updating of health I like this way is fine although as you said level 4 and 5 do give a lot of health. If you wanted you could also just use the heal in the base game and give it something like this "Heal 2 (Self-only -5,Free action +5)" with only 1 free action being usable in any round.
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
shadowreaper5
Shelled Plebeian

Post by shadowreaper5 »

Good point. I honestly missed healer (or maybe I was looking at an older version). I would still rule that Regeneration (Self Healer Free Action) 5 would allow recovery from fatal or near fatal wound. I'm thinking like Wolverine or Alucard fromn Hellsing.

Is free action a thing or would it be "Unique Perk (+?)"
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Blobathehutt »

Free action is something I made up so it would be a unique perk, sorry for not pointing that out before lol
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Other ideas for handling this can be found in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12413

including my own take on the idea, which I'll quote here:
Clay wrote:Another idea that lines up with the current healing rules, create a new ability:

Regeneration: For each Level in this Ability, you may heal once using the "Healing Through the Day" rules, but at any time you wish. This does not require an action.

So Regeneration +5 would let you roll your healing dice five times through the course of a typical adventure.