Combat tests!

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Combat tests!

Post by R-90-2 »

So, I finally have the opportunity to test out how the combat works in practice in OVA. Obviously, I didn't do full character writeups. So, we have Alisia, and adorable new holy order knight trying to prove that she's supposed to be taken seriously by attacking a couple of ogre thugs (which have Extra stats as base).

Alisia

Strong +2
Combat Skill +2
Defense +2
Armor +4
Weapon: Einhacker +3 (Accurate, Armor-Piercing x2)
Tough +2
Vitality +2
Cute +3
Hobby: Cooking +2

60/60

Ogres:

Tough +3
Armor +2 (hide)
Combat skill +1
Weapon +3 (huge club)
Strong +3

50/10
50/10

Initiative: Alisia gets a five, while the ogres roll double ones, rolling on the floor and laughing at what they see as a puny opponent. The don't laugh for Long, however, as Alisia takes the first swing. The ogre, however, hastily defends himself against the attack.

Alisia rolls 5d6 due to her skill and weapon, coming up 3/5/5/5/4 for a total of 15, while Ogre #1 gets a roll of 2d6, getting 1/3 for a total of three. 12 x 6 (Strong +2, weapon +3)= 72 damage. He's not laughing now!

Ogre #2, however, decides to give it a go anyway, believing that the blow was just a fluke. He spends 5 endurance to get a handle on the slippery knight, adding another die to his roll, topping out at 4d6 vs. Alisia's 4d6 defense.

Alisia, however, is too busy jerking her sword free to defend herself properly from the attack, rolling 2/2/2/6 for a total of six, while the ogre gets 4/4/6/1, getting an 8 beating her score by 2, for a total of 2x7 = 14 damage. this is reduced by the armor that Alisia is wearing (or located somewhere in) by 10, making a total of 4 points. She does retaliate.

Alisia gets a total of 12 on her next attack, (3/5/6/5/6), while the ogre gets a five, meaning he suffers a good 7x6= 42 points of damage for his trouble. Deciding the better of it, the ogre thug scurries off as fast as he can. Later, cowering before big boss General Schwarzgeist, he tells the whole thing... And lucky for him, the general decides to get involved himself, deciding that the matter is below the notice of the Hollow Prince.

Things Noted from test #1:

Combat skill and defense really, really matter.

Armor is helpful, so long as the difference between the former two isn't gigantic.

Combat can end very, very fast, though Alisia got some magnificent attack rolls.

Upcoming: Test #2- The soul of iron.
calibur1
Worthy Tortoise

Post by calibur1 »

Very interesting scenario. I like had you added a story to go along with it.
Things Noted from test #1:

Combat skill and defense really, really matter.
Of course they do, but don't forget that there are other ablities that modify combat: Acrobatics, Agile, Quick.
Armor is helpful, so long as the difference between the former two isn't gigantic.

Combat can end very, very fast, though Alisia got some magnificent attack rolls.
This is also true, but keep in mind Alisia was fighting two "extras" which you gave no real defense to. Just by looking at both sets of combatants I could have done this math in my head and told you she would win. Extras are suppose to be cannon fodder for the heroes to wade through. They can be made tougher by giving them more unique attacks that Blind, Entangle, or do Rapid Strikes. If you really want to test the combat system, have Alisia fight an exact duplicate of herself.
R-90-2
Worthy Tortoise

Post by R-90-2 »

calibur1 wrote: This is also true, but keep in mind Alisia was fighting two "extras" which you gave no real defense to. Just by looking at both sets of combatants I could have done this math in my head and told you she would win. Extras are suppose to be cannon fodder for the heroes to wade through. They can be made tougher by giving them more unique attacks that Blind, Entangle, or do Rapid Strikes. If you really want to test the combat system, have Alisia fight an exact duplicate of herself.
I gave them no additional defense on purpose. The reason being that I have encountered dice-pool games where being 3-5 dice up on your opponent doesn't actually give that much of an advantage in practice due to the ways that successes or matches are counted. For example, in nWoD,you have to throw an average of 21 dice worth of lethal damage to kill the average dude. I wanted to see how the difference really worked out on the table.

EDIT: I also wanted to see how well the whole "Extra" thing worked out in practice, because Weapons of the Gods, Feng Shui, and Spirit of the Century can have some some really tough "mooks".
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks for the combat go-through. It's always great to see the game in action. :)
FrankJScott
Exalted Amphibian

Awesome Product Site

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Useful Product Guide 8ea686_
FrankJScott
Exalted Amphibian

New Product Site

Post by FrankJScott »

Please try Google before asking about Best Product Site d0a4836