SRW OVA?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

SRW OVA?

Post by Malancthon »

Anyone here a fan of the Super Robot Wars series?

For the uninitiated, SRW is a tactical RPG series that crosses over various mecha anime into a big fun fanservice game. You could have Heero in the Gundam Wing Zero teaming up with Shinji in the Eva Unit 1 being fired up by Kamina's speech in the Gurren Lagaan while battling off the Zentreadi waves, for example. Mecha usually have thousands of HP and do similar levels of damage.

I've tried adapting various RPGs to replicate the game, and was thinking of trying so again with OVA.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: SRW OVA?

Post by Clay »

I had the rudiments of a tactical add-on for OVA, using a grid-based map and a few Final Fantasy Tactics-style Perks and Flaws. In fact, the Strike-Through Perk in Revised OVA is a result of that.

I would probably make movement something like this:

Slow -3 or -2: 1 Square
Slow -1 or Nothing: 2 Squares
Quick +1 or +2: 3 Squares
Quick +3 or +4: 4 Squares
Quick + 5: 5 Squares

And it's easy enough to create attack ranges with the existing perks. Area Effect would create a + shaped formation of 5 squares. Ranged will allow you to attack 3 squares away. Strike Through allows you to attack 2 squares in front of you without regard to line of sight. Etc.
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Blobathehutt »

Clay wrote:I had the rudiments of a tactical add-on for OVA, using a grid-based map and a few Final Fantasy Tactics-style Perks and Flaws. In fact, the Strike-Through Perk in Revised OVA is a result of that.
I would love to see that kind of flushed out add-on! Do you have any plans on ever doing one? Or maybe someone on here has done one?
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Maybe one day! Time is always at a premium.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

The idea is currently on the backburner. I was tentatively thinking of trying to adapt BESM 2nd ed's book, Giant Robots, Cool Starships into OVA with some of My Monstrous/Mecha Abilities, but I haven't located My book yet.
Clay wrote:I had the rudiments of a tactical add-on for OVA, using a grid-based map and a few Final Fantasy Tactics-style Perks and Flaws. In fact, the Strike-Through Perk in Revised OVA is a result of that.

I would probably make movement something like this:

Slow -3 or -2: 1 Square
Slow -1 or Nothing: 2 Squares
Quick +1 or +2: 3 Squares
Quick +3 or +4: 4 Squares
Quick + 5: 5 Squares

And it's easy enough to create attack ranges with the existing perks. Area Effect would create a + shaped formation of 5 squares. Ranged will allow you to attack 3 squares away. Strike Through allows you to attack 2 squares in front of you without regard to line of sight. Etc.
This is excellent and will be useful to figure out ranges if/when I get back to this idea.