new OVA game

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

GrayKnight
Shelled Plebeian

new OVA game

Post by GrayKnight »

Just started playing OVA recently, and I love the game! this is the setting for the game I started running, I would love any thoughts, ideas, or criticism:

A fantasy world where people negotiate contracts with gods to receive magical powers. The world has thousands of gods and several of them have formed contracts with mortals. The contract is mutually beneficial for the god and the mortal, rewarding the mortal for completing certain contract goals specified while negotiating. The contractor receives a certain portion of the gods powers and is able to use their god's abilities. The contractor and god become close allies, the contractor's god is always with them (spiritually and in some cases physically) and the deeper their bond the stronger they are.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: new OVA game

Post by Malancthon »

Sounds a lot like Exalted. I gave the new edition a try last year, didn't really find it to be My taste. But I'm sure the fluff could be useful in developing your worlds, and just port it over to OVA rules.
GrayKnight
Shelled Plebeian

Post by GrayKnight »

Interesting, I've never heard of exalted before, perhaps I shall take a look at it.
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Zealot Vedas »

Like Malancthon said, it sounds pretty similar to Exalted in core premise, but depending on the specifics of your setting you could easily put your own spin on the concept. Sounds cool to me.
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
GrayKnight
Shelled Plebeian

Post by GrayKnight »

I've definitely tried making it my own after learning exalted existed. I don't have a big lore built around the setting at this point, but I have focused on making the contracts a big deal and giving them specific and defined rules as well as allowing the player to choose a god of anything that could possibly have a god (which is anything). I also am trying to work on making it feel as anime like as possible. As of right now the couple of games we have been playing feel alot like slice of life with some action mixed in. If anyone has some ideas on fantasy anime tropes to throw in or just ideas in general it would be appreciated.
Tabulation
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Tabulation »

Isn't it a saying that sat : "great artists steal"?
Instead of Trying to look different from exalted, try tout embrase the similarities.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

You might want to take a look at the Japanese Shinto religion. It's fairly complicated, so forgive Me for putting it into such simplistic terms, but essentially it's that everything has a minor god associated with it- that big rock that defines your front yard, that tree that overhangs your home, your home itself, etc. Shinto is a lot about revering and respecting all the aspects of the world to try and become harmonious with it.

You could look at it as a bit more of a powersource. A character can make a contract with the divine spirit in whatever they find that speaks to them. This could then be represented in game with Focus.
Tabulation
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Tabulation »

I got question for you.
You seem to make a game of epic scope. Did you mod the game ? By modding,, I can mean something simple as creating new abilities/weakness or did you change how the difficulty ladder ?
Did you forbid some abilities/weakness because it wouldn't fit the mood of your campaign?
Cloud
Savior of Turtles

Post by Cloud »

Honestly it does not sound that similar to exalted. It sounds like in this particular game one can actually speak with the gods as they exist - which I don’t think happens in exalted (I'm talking higher gods like the unconqured sun). This game idea you have grey knight sounds like a god version of the anime kaze no stigma which sounds pretty sweet to me. I vote the opposite of Tabulation and do your own thing. Don’t feel like you have to be too similar to someone else's work.
Watch this and all will become clear...http://tinyurl.com/m7qr3rq
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

You may want to take a look at "Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in the Dungeon?" It features a similar premise with adventurers gaining favors by making contracts with gods and goddesses and might give you a few ideas of how to apply the idea in a prototypical "anime" way.