Question: Battletech Conversion

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

robert_wellinghurst
Shelled Plebeian

Question: Battletech Conversion

Post by robert_wellinghurst »

I am working on a Battletech conversion for OVA. The idea is to use the Tech Readouts available in PDF form or book form and convert them to OVA as Mechas. Since the Original Tech ReadOut has almost all of the BattleMechs and Vehicles taken from 3 animes: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Fang of the Sun Dougram and Crusher Joe. You could use the battletech to populate a universe of vehicles quickly and then tweak them as needed.

The question is: Is this something worth pursuing? Is anyone else going to be using this when I complete this?

Update:
I have got something here now:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

It is a rough draft. I hope to have a few examples in the same folder.
Let me know what you think.
Last edited by robert_wellinghurst on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Question: Battletech Conversion

Post by Malancthon »

I'd definitely would take a look at it. Battletech was one of the first Mecha things I got into, and I am a fan of the various Macross series and other series pulled into to create Robotech.

I created a Mecha/Monstrous set of Abilities to properly scale bigger threats instead of just using Scale over here.. As part of My testing of the abilities, I created stats for the MOSPEADA bikes. The stats are rough because I did them pretty quickly, but you can get an idea of how the idea works, if you wanted to use them.
MOSPEADA (Vehicle +2)
For the purpose of conducting the first drop operation, Mars Base felt that firepower, armor, mobility and the ability to penetrate enemy territory were absolutely imperative to even the odds with the Inbit after landing on Earth to compensate for the low number of soldiers. The Ride-Armor system satisfies these requirements and is the most effective and compact weapon system developed. The Ride-Armor System consists of two parts: a soldier wearing a bulletproof and crashproof Riding Suit and a motorcycle called an armor-bike. A soldier using this equipment can quickly penetrate enemy territory. When he encounters the enemy, he can quickly transform the armor-bike into the ride-armor form. In this configuration, he can attack the enemy using the feedback-controlled enhanced strength of the ride-armor and heavier firepower. Jets greatly increase the mobility of the ride-armor form. These jets allow the suit to hover along the ground and make jet-assisted leaps.

Health: 200
Endurance: 40
Defense: +2

Abilities
Life Support +1
Mecha Damage +1
Mecha Durability +1
Transformation +1
-Agile +1
-Armor +1
-Flight +1
-Quick -1
Quick +2
Weaknesses
Special Requirement: Repairs and Refuel -2

Attacks
CADS-1: Effective (+5), Weapon (-5); Roll: +1, DX (+1)x5, End: 0
Dual Missile Tubes: Area-Effect (+10), Ranged (+0), Ammunition 2 (-10): Roll: +1, DX: x5
EP-37 Particle Beam Gun: Armor Piercing (+5), Ranged (+0), Weapon (-5); Roll:+1 , DX: x5, Endurance: 0
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Battletech was also my introduction to "giant robots" since I somehow missed out on Robotech when I was a kid.

You may want to consider taking Endurance and revising it to be a sort of Heat pool. That is, all the Abilities and Perks generate Heat, counting up from zero instead of down from 40 (or whatever Endurance you'd normally start with.) Reaching your Heat Threshold will result in penalties and eventually the shut down of the mech. Meanwhile, various Heat Sinks would increase the Heat threshhold beyond the default. You could stick to Battletech's method of recovering Heat every turn, but that's a lot of book-keeping and prone to abuse from the fact that in OVA it's very easy to generate zero Endurance, or in this case, zero Heat, attacks.
robert_wellinghurst
Shelled Plebeian

Clay, that is what I was working with that idea. Currently it is on paper, literally. The current generation is suffering from Riftitis, in that weapons now go up to 40 point of damage and not 20. Though my pursuits is not for exacting copy of the mechanics. I am trying to make it OVA with some feel of Battletech, thus reducing the amount of math and mechanics involved. However right now I am considering a battery/generator approach where weapons drain the energy reserve and thus could cause a shutdown till the generator can bring it back up in to the positive value. This is more inline with OVA. The version I will post will likely have been revised a few times to make it easier on everyone.
Maverick Arkguard
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Maverick Arkguard »

I like your ideas about how to handle Battletech's (practically) core facet.

I was thinking about making my own Battletech writeup for OVA a few weeks before I hit the forums for the first time and saw your post here. Since you've started replying to it I have to say you and I have the same ideas. Dang it every great idea has someone else who's thought up the same thing, d'oh!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with and would like to ask it would be alright to put up anything I come up with on the forums.
robert_wellinghurst
Shelled Plebeian

The Battletech writeup will be forthcoming, soon. I hope. Please bare with me.
robert_wellinghurst
Shelled Plebeian

Here is the update on the message, I edited the original post.