The end of the year

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

The end of the year

Post by Blobathehutt »

The year is close and I thought it might be fun to look back at our best and worst games of the year :) So what was the best/worst game of OVA you have played in this year?
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: The end of the year

Post by Clay »

As much as it pains me to say, I actually didn't get to play a game of OVA at all in 2016. *Stands in the Corner of Shame™.*

Anyone else had any noteworthy experiences? Hopefully more eventful than my own!
ColeArkenach
Shelled Plebeian

Post by ColeArkenach »

My group in a one-shot was comprised of Lucy (Elfen Lied) and an original character named Psion. Both of these characters are telekinetic-focused. The setting was 2021 Earth with fantasy races, magic, and all of that as common place. Their mission was to help stop a virus at a military base in Nevada.

Skipping all of the RP and getting to the combat in the basement, they were confronted with infected soldiers who weren't zombies, however their bodies were rotting and deteriorating as they attacked (describing how one would lose an arm after an attack hit them, or how one crumpled to the floor after its legs were hit). There were many of them, and they had the ability to use firearms and grenades to make them extra scary.

After a while, the characters were getting overwhelmed with the infected soldiers, and the players asked what the brown spaces on the map scattered about were. I told them that they were cabinets. That's when the players did the unthinkable, picking up one of the cabinets (telekinetically) and using it as a ranged object against the soldiers. They were quickly disposed of, and gore littered the basement. That's not even mentioning the men who were sent flying into the foundations and damaging it.

After the battle, the players will always attest to the immense power behind the unbreakable cabinets.
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

My 'worst' was still a lot of fun: It was a one shot that one player played Karis, and I played an original character. It was short, that was it's biggest flaw.

My best is the on-going game that we have with Auren and my time lost Dragon, Aurunox, AKA Arisawa Hayato. It's sort of a reverse magical girl game. It's like focusing on the 'Tuxedo Mask' without having the girls intruding too often.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Worst game of the year was the first I played: it was a one shot horror adventure inspired by the anime Monster Mosquiton and Call of Cthulhu, set on a zeppelin. The game was ok, but it wasn't really horror because I forgot to make some houserules to create a lethal enviroment. By the way combat was really fun.

The best game we're playing is and ongoing serie of short scenarios, all set in different parts of a dark medieval world populated by humans and weird monsters/mutated humans (Berserk is the main inspiration, but also Claymore and the manga The Arms Peddler). The scenarios are all linked, even if the protagonists sometimes change:

1st scenario: a group of travellers shipwreck on an island where a band of brigands and a group of pirates fight for control. A mad former brigand, son of a witch, controls a large monster to destroy both groups and the town whose citizens exiled him.
2nd scenario: some of the heroes of the former adventure and some new faces are hired to find a missing person in Blackfort, a town in the middle of the desert ruled by a knight who defeated an evil cult. The truth is that the cult leader, the Surgeon, is a demon who kidnap persons to make experiments with their bodies (he's the creator of mythological beasts) and now he controls the knight to rebuild his cult.
3rd scenario: this is a prequel. A king (the same who sent the knight to defeat the cult in the scenario above) hires a group of mercenaries to infiltrate the army of a former vassal, a nobleman that controls a giant undead titan. The nobleman is secretly helped by the Centurion, another demon that possessed a sorcerer, not different from the Surgeon.
Zealot Vedas
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Zealot Vedas »

Late response, but I've not been able to convince my group to run OVA so far. Been considering trying for a Roll20 group.
Does driving a tank count as a martial art? Does being a tank count as a martial art?
mysteriousgirl?!
Shelled Plebeian

Post by mysteriousgirl?! »

i just got a copy of OVA just the other day so sorry no stories to share yet teehee!
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

mysteriousgirl?! wrote:i just got a copy of OVA just the other day so sorry no stories to share yet teehee!
Welcome to the forums. May your games run long.