New Attacks??

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

New Attacks??

Post by Atmo »

What was the consensus on creating new Attacks? I remember Clay posting his position but I lost the thread from my favorites.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: New Attacks??

Post by Sabersonic »

I think this is the one you were looking for, from this thread:
Clay wrote:There’s no explicit limitations on the number of moves you can have, but generally 3-4 is best. Too many and characters become a sort of swiss army knife, which is rarely dramatically appropriate.

Also, you can create Attack moves on the fly, but just make sure players A) make these Attacks thematically appropriate to their character and B) don’t spend too much time doing so. It’s not fun waiting for a player to hand-perfect his latest attack move, nor is it in good spirit to intentionally create moves to counteract enemy strengths without just cause story-wise.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Sabersonic wrote:I think this is the one you were looking for, from this thread:
Clay wrote:There’s no explicit limitations on the number of moves you can have, but generally 3-4 is best. Too many and characters become a sort of swiss army knife, which is rarely dramatically appropriate.

Also, you can create Attack moves on the fly, but just make sure players A) make these Attacks thematically appropriate to their character and B) don’t spend too much time doing so. It’s not fun waiting for a player to hand-perfect his latest attack move, nor is it in good spirit to intentionally create moves to counteract enemy strengths without just cause story-wise.
Probably is, but it still doesn't says if/how much exp points do we spend to create new Attacks, IF we do spend them for it. It seems fair, actually, spending 1 exp for every 5 damage an Attack can do, IMHO.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Clay actually did answer a question one of my players asked about that. Basically it doesn't cost anything to create new attacks.

Now if I only knew what thread that was on.....

EDIT:
Surprisingly, it's from the same thread that I linked earlier. No idea where my brain was just now.
Clay wrote:Your Attack “moves” are just variations of this Attack Ability. They cost nothing, per se, they just allow you to tweak specific manisfestations of dealing damage. So instead of a DX 4 Attack, you could have an attack move that’s Accurate (+5 Endurance) and Ineffective (-5 Endurance), which improves the number of dice you roll but lowers DX to 3.

You can create an unlimited number of these variations. The only cost is potentially an Endurance cost if you have more Perks than Flaws. (For example, if you get Effective x2, your DX will now be 6 with this specific move, but it will cost 10 Endurance every time you use it.) Likewise, there’s no need to buy Attack twice to have both a fire blast and an ice blast. They’re just different “moves” of the same Attack.
Basically if the Perks and Flaws have a net value of Zero of less in terms of Endurance, they don't cost a thing. Thus they don't cost anything when it comes to new attacks and they only apply a cost if one uses their Experience Points to raise their Attack ability by a single level or more.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Sabersonic wrote:Clay actually did answer a question one of my players asked about that. Basically it doesn't cost anything to create new attacks.

Now if I only knew what thread that was on.....

EDIT:
Surprisingly, it's from the same thread that I linked earlier. No idea where my brain was just now.
Clay wrote:Your Attack “moves” are just variations of this Attack Ability. They cost nothing, per se, they just allow you to tweak specific manisfestations of dealing damage. So instead of a DX 4 Attack, you could have an attack move that’s Accurate (+5 Endurance) and Ineffective (-5 Endurance), which improves the number of dice you roll but lowers DX to 3.

You can create an unlimited number of these variations. The only cost is potentially an Endurance cost if you have more Perks than Flaws. (For example, if you get Effective x2, your DX will now be 6 with this specific move, but it will cost 10 Endurance every time you use it.) Likewise, there’s no need to buy Attack twice to have both a fire blast and an ice blast. They’re just different “moves” of the same Attack.
Basically if the Perks and Flaws have a net value of Zero of less in terms of Endurance, they don't cost a thing. Thus they don't cost anything when it comes to new attacks and they only apply a cost if one uses their Experience Points to raise their Attack ability by a single level or more.
Ooh, so that's why I was thinking that! Good one, saber.