Horror/Madness mechanisms

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Horror/Madness mechanisms

Post by Belisarion »

I know, OVA is no Call of Cthulhu but there are plenty of anime which are extremly scary and hapless victims in them are often taken to the brink of sanity. I just mention Vampire Hunter D for example.
How would you handle this stress mechanic wise? Could there be a pool called Sanity be added to health and endurance? Or would endurance be decreased instead as it is also a kind of mental threshhold?
I would be thankful for any guidelines.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Horror/Madness mechanisms

Post by Malancthon »

Endurance is absolutely the way to go.

Check out pages 112-113, explaining about Draining Endurance. I'd use the same general rules, except the tests of stamina would be tests of sanity. Once Endurance drops to 0, the character can either pass out, go temporarily crazy, or press on and burn Health. Then if they run out of both Endurance and Health from tests of sanity, the consequences are more severe, such as full loony tunes.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

I agree. Making use of the Endurance mechanics probably makes the most sense. It even allows for fatigue and exhaustion to factor in to one’s sanity—which sounds good to me!
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

Clay wrote:I agree. Making use of the Endurance mechanics probably makes the most sense. It even allows for fatigue and exhaustion to factor in to one’s sanity—which sounds good to me!
Well, time to let some anime cthulhuian monsters. One could set some kind of will saving throw (iron will could help) with difficulties according to the threat level of the monster.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

If you haven't checked out this thread yet, I'd recommend taking a look see.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

Malancthon wrote:If you haven't checked out this thread yet, I'd recommend taking a look see.
A very interesting one and it rekindled my desire to play in the Mass Effect setting.

Is there by chance an OVA version of that intruiging setting?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

I don't believe there is.

However, Sabersonic has been quietly filling up a thread with Doom 3 and Dead Space encounters, as well as some other odds and ends here that would probably be worth a look at.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

Oh, thanks for the info, I like both Doom and Dead Space.

Are there possibly any roll20.net groups who would give this a try?