Healer ability

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Healer ability

Post by Belisarion »

The book states:
Simply roll your Healer dice; the
result is the amount of Health recovered.
Does this mean, if I have healer +3 I do roll 3 dice (without the usual 2 dice base) and sum up the results of all 3 dice or do I handle it as usual: I roll 5 dice in this example and only the highest roll counts or all of a kind (which is higher) for the amount of health healed?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Healer ability

Post by Malancthon »

You always start with 2 dice.

So in this situation, you should have 5 dice to Heal with.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

Malancthon wrote:You always start with 2 dice.

So in this situation, you should have 5 dice to Heal with.
So I would indeed add up all results of all dice and not only taking the highest?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

I apologize, it does appear that you were correct on the initial read.

If you had Healer 3, then you'd roll 3 dice and heal the total amount.

This is why you asking questions is a good thing.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

I hope I do not flood this forum needlessly. And I always try to search for existing threads to my questions :mrgreen:

Some questions go beyond my Power Rangers approach, as I try to figure out which other settings could be played with OVA.
Kitsune Zeta
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

Malancthon wrote:I apologize, it does appear that you were correct on the initial read.

If you had Healer 3, then you'd roll 3 dice and heal the total amount.

This is why you asking questions is a good thing.
That seems to contradict other examples with identically-worded rules. In the Auren Player Book, Mana Shield is a Magic, Arcane effect of Barrier (+2), endurance cost 10+. The player book says when using Mana Shield, Auren's defense roll is 4 dice (8 dice if the barrier is prepared ahead of time - i.e. not activated in response to an attack). The barrier ability itself, in the core rulebook, says "Instead of making a normal Defense Roll in combat, you may roll your barrier dice" which implies that the roll is a fixed "2+[ability]" roll with the result calculated like all other skill check rolls.

The sample character Fukiko (in the core rulebook - defense 4 [2 + quick] without barrier, defense 5 [2 + Barrier] with) also backs up this conclusion, and clay even confirmed as such himself.
Clay wrote:Right, the normal Bonuses (Quick, Evasive, etc.) do not apply to Barrier. It is purely your Barrier dice (plus the two-dice default, of course.)
(bold emphasis added)

So following that precedent, if you had Healer +3 and were asked to roll your healer dice, you would roll 5 dice, not 3, and the result is calculated as with any other roll in the game.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Hah. I was looking up those posts as well before you edited your message.

The bigger question, though, is that the wording of Healer
Simply roll your Healer dice; the result is the amount of Health recovered.
implies that you just add together what you roll for the total healed, and not the highest rolled or highest multiples as per normal.

I would assume that it'd be the standard highest rolled or highest multiples, like normal successes.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

Malancthon wrote:Hah. I was looking up those posts as well before you edited your message.

The bigger question, though, is that the wording of Healer
Simply roll your Healer dice; the result is the amount of Health recovered.
implies that you just add together what you roll for the total healed, and not the highest rolled or highest multiples as per normal.

I would assume that it'd be the standard highest rolled or highest multiples, like normal successes.
Maybe Clay can tell us how this is supposed to function.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Kitsune Zeta wrote:So following that precedent, if you had Healer +3 and were asked to roll your healer dice, you would roll 5 dice, not 3, and the result is calculated as with any other roll in the game.
This was basically My initial answer. I think I'd stick with this as the ruling until Clay says otherwise.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

That is correct. It is treated like every other roll in the game.

So if you have Healer +3, you would roll five dice (3+the two default.) This result is calculated normally. So for dice coming up 1, 3, 4, 5, and 5, the amount healed would be 10 Health.

You can take the Effective Perk to add a multiplier to this result. With one level of Effective factored in, you’d be healing 20 (10 x 2) instead. Effective x2 would give you 30. And so on. Just don’t forget you either need to pay an Endurance cost or take some Ability Flaw to get that Perk!

(You could also use Drama Dice to boost your roll.)