What do you use for the ambiance of your games?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Tabulation
Worthy Tortoise

What do you use for the ambiance of your games?

Post by Tabulation »

Hello,
So, I was wondering what you are using as soundtrack for your games.
In Anime (and TV series, movies, comics, video), we often have cool songs/musics during scene.

As for me, I am the GM but I am not the one in charge of the soundtrack, it's one of my players. So far, I heard Digimon Tamers combat music, one of the PMMM combat music... Well, we are only using music for combat.

For now, I am delving Guilty Crown and Sunrider Academy OST for cool track.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: What do you use for the ambiance of your games?

Post by Clay »

I’ve actually never been in a game with a soundtrack, but it sounds like something that could potentially amazing. An epic boss battle with Yuki Kajiura-style choir would be spellbinding.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

ALRIGHT! Here I'll open up a can of worms.

I've always been fond of playing background music for games, and I'll often look to soundtracks for that.

My favorite musician is Gary Numan (most famous for his 1979 hit Cars, but he's a prolific worker who continues to make new music, and released what may be his best album ever in 2014- and he's working on a new album to release mid next year). He has done two score albums, which I often put on to get in the mood.

The first was done in 1992 called Human, which has a late 80s synth dystopia sound. I grab it for gritty sci-fi type of games, cyberpunk or weird space opera stuff. It could also work for some horror games.

He also released another score in 2014, called From Inside. It's got a more horror sound, maybe something like Silent Hill horror, although parts of it make Me think of Halo.

I'm more inclined to space fantasy stuff, so the Tron Legacy soundtrack is also frequently referenced. A lesser known gem is the soundtrack for the underappreciated cartoon prequel/tie-in Tron Uprising, which has a bit more variance than Legacy.

Going more esoteric, the soundtrack for the 2002 live action Casshern is a powerful and haunting score, with a fair amount of rocking action music and beautiful bits. I also really like the movie, but apparently I have bad taste for that... Unfortunately, it seems Youtube has taken down various videos of the soundtrack, making it harder to find some pieces.

For a more fantasy feel, I've recently taken a liking to the soundtrack for the game Drakengard 3, although that might sound a bit too repetitive as it uses a one woman wail sound. Apparently it's spiritual sister game Nier also has an excellent soundtrack, and the upcoming sequel Nier Automata looks to follow suite.

I also love the soundtracks for both Vampire Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. I slightly prefer the older one, both the movie and soundtrack, but I think more people would gravitate towards the newer one.

Going completely off the rails, there is also a soundtrack made for the graphic novel Purgatori: The Vampire's Myth. This one is a bit harder to explain, since youtube apparently has never heard of it. :lol: It mixes classical rock with middle eastern sounds and Hellish ambiance and all sorts of stuff. I think it's pretty great for dungeon crawling or demon realm adventures.

Okay, I think that's about enough yammering from Me.
Belisarion
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Belisarion »

I only say "The heart beneath" from Celtic Frost, at the beginning of every Manga Video movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn4S3HCed9Y

Sweetened every manga in the 90ies I watched, Wicked City, Devil Man, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, weird Urotsukidoji.

The theme of ingenious Robotech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wl0p_TF0Q

Halo is definately a good choice as is Mass Effect.
Atmo
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Atmo »

Nothing, from my end. We play online so what every one wants to listen to is what they listen to.
GaijinGuy43
Shelled Plebeian

Post by GaijinGuy43 »

For maximum dramatic effect, don't be afraid to dust off your CD of the soundtrack of Akira. :mrgreen:
I don't always aim, but when I do, it's to misbehave.
GaijinGuy43
Shelled Plebeian

Post by GaijinGuy43 »

Oh, you could also use the soundtrack from FF7: Advent Children. There's a lot of good music there too.
I don't always aim, but when I do, it's to misbehave.