Calculating TV

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

spunxow
Shelled Plebeian

Calculating TV

Post by spunxow »

Hi! Brand new (to OVA) GM here, with two questions about TV.

The rules on calculating TV say "simply add the following without taking into account any Perks or Flaws: The character’s Attack Roll, Defense Roll, Damage Multiplier, Level in Armored, and the Levels of any Abilities or Weaknesses that modify Health and Endurance."

Does this include the "base" stats that all characters get, like DX1 and 2d6 for Attack and Defense? Or does this refer only to Abilities that increase these stats?

Also, in your experience, how accurately does the TV system predict likely outcome? Are TV1 encounters essentially coin flips? Are TV2 encounters really Nigh Impossible?

Thanks in advance. I am happy to see an active forum devoted to this game!
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Calculating TV

Post by Blobathehutt »

Well no one else is going to give it a shot so i will try and help. I'm new to the game but the way I do it is combat stats + 4 (For the base attack and def) but I don't do the base DX of 1. Overall I think I can say TV is a good guide line for you but I don't think it will be right 100% of the time.
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Calculating TV

Post by Clay »

Yes, you include your “default” ratings. You could calculate TV without these, as long as you did so for everyone, but I thought it was simpler to just use the dice you roll in the calculation. It also made it harder for you to end up with a “negative” TV…which is both useless and kind of silly to calculate.

In my experience, characters with roughly equal Abilities had roughly equal chances of winning. It’s possible a certain combination of attributes may win more often than another, but as a rough rule of thumb (Threat Value is just an estimate, after all) it works.

Nigh Impossible probably isn't nigh impossible (the dice are random enough to prevent that), but the odds are low enough that it would prove unsatisfying to most heroic styles of play.