World of darkness conversion

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

World of darkness conversion

Post by Blobathehutt »

I'm a fan of the WoD line of games but I love the OVA system way more than the Storyteller system but I was having a hard time thinking up a way to add the "points" the WoD uses into the game. By points I mean blood points, glamor, etc. these points are used for powers and the such and mos of the time have a cap of 10 most powers cost around 1-3 points to use so I want to find a way to do something like this in OVA. One idea I had was make so END no longer counts as backup HP and give them a base of 100 and then have the powers cost 10-30 end per use and to even it out give them 80 HP base and give them the -1 when the reach half hp instead of 0 END but the points are meant to be hard to get, So I would make it so that resting does not give you points back and you have to go out and earn them back.

So what do you think? Is it balanced or is to Overpowered/underpowered or just right?
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: World of darkness conversion

Post by Malancthon »

Blobathehutt wrote:I'm a fan of the WoD line of games but I love the OVA system way more than the Storyteller system but I was having a hard time thinking up a way to add the "points" the WoD uses into the game. By points I mean blood points, glamor, etc. these points are used for powers and the such and mos of the time have a cap of 10 most powers cost around 1-3 points to use so I want to find a way to do something like this in OVA.
I think the biggest piece of advice I can give is- don't be literal.

While it might seem fairly simple to try and build a conversion that's closest to each other (Celerity equals Quick or Potence equals Strong), you really should be looking at what the character is and what their primary 'gimmick' or concept is, and then apply Abilities and Weaknesses that matches the concept, instead of how it is built using a different system.
Blobathehutt wrote:One idea I had was make so END no longer counts as backup HP and give them a base of 100 and then have the powers cost 10-30 end per use and to even it out give them 80 HP base and give them the -1 when the reach half hp instead of 0 END but the points are meant to be hard to get, So I would make it so that resting does not give you points back and you have to go out and earn them back.

So what do you think? Is it balanced or is to Overpowered/underpowered or just right?
That's probably too complicated for what you want to do. I'd again just think of it from OVA's POV, where most endurance costs are x5. Maybe look at Magic's Endurance costs for some ideas there.