Using the traits, or Warping OVA for quick NPC creation

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Using the traits, or Warping OVA for quick NPC creation

Post by markodude »

I was thinking about using broader traits for Ova, like those found in Over the Edge and the Warp rpg system, at least for creating minor NPC characters in less time.
Basically, you start with 6 dice (or less, for weaker goons) to divide between these traits (usually three), + those earned taking weaknesses.

for example an experienced guard could be made like this:

central trait/profession: Soldier 3 (5 dices rolled)
side trait 1: Athletic 2 (4 dices rolled)
side trait 2: Gambling 1 (3 dices rolled)
weakness: Womanizer -2

if you need the attack and defense values you simply use the same traits, but normally a trait can only be used for attack OR defense. (in the case above th soldier attacks with 5D6 and defends with 4D6).

Focused/specialized traits (es: knife espert, swordsman, gunslinger) can be used for both... and little else.

I've still to test this idea... but I think that it should work and I was thinking to create characters in the same way but with 10 + weaknesses dices value.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Using the traits, or Warping OVA for quick NPC creation

Post by sniffycrab »

Well how do you decide damage multiplier then? I mean that is Okay for skill rolls.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

You are right..I forgot to mention I made some stats for weapons in the past for Ova 1st edition and I posted them in another old topic I made. I'll post them below:

Ok, these are the rules I use for "disposable weapons" - I mean the weapons that our characters don't buy but are taken from enemies, bought or stolen. Since these are not bought with points, they can be broken, lost etc...

Weapons List

Weapon +1 - these are "Small Weapons", like knife, dagger, brass knuckles. Also small/medium improvised weapons such as broken bottles and a leg of a chair will be put in this category.
Weapon +2 - "Medium weapons": mace, hatchet, sword, sabre, fencing foil. Or big improvised weapons like a stool. Also "Small exceptional weapons" like a good quality wakizashi, better than an ordinary (+1) wakizashi.
Weapon +3 - "Large weapons": claymore, warhammer, bastard sword. OR "Medium exceptional weapons" such as a good quality katana.

[Note that these are ordinary weapons - those commonly used by minions or bought - an ancestral sword own by a Pc/Npc can be +4 for example, but this will be an exception]

For Ranged weapons:

Weapon +1, ranged - we have sling, light crossbow, wrist crossbow, derringer, shuriken*, throwing knives*, shortbow*
Weapon +2, ranged - crossbow, medium handgun, longbow*, throwing hatchet*, javelin*
Weapon +3, ranged - hunting rifle, huge crossbow

*Muscle Powered Weapons (+0) this is a special Perk I use only for weapons. This determines which weapons DO apply the bonus for Strong (or Weak). It is fairly balanced since this is both and advantage (for a strong Pc) than a weakness (for a weak Pc).

SOME OTHER WEAPONS

Whip: Weapon +1 (Entangle, Decreased Damage)
Chainsaw: Weapon +3 (Inaccurate, Special Flaw: Noisy)
Stun Rod: Weapon +1 (Decreased Damage, Stun)
Machinegun or Smg: Weapon +2 (Decreased Damage, Rapid Strikes)
Sniper Rifle: Weapon +3 (Extra Accuracy, Activation - aiming)

ARMORS AND OTHER ITEMS

I also created armours and magic items for my low powered fantasy scenario

Leather Armor (light): Armor 1, -1 Acrobatics/Agile
Metal Armor (medium): Armor 2, -1 Acrobatics/Agile/Quick
Full Armor (heavy): Armor 3, -2 Acrobatics/Agile, -1 Quick

Healing Vial: +10 Hit Points
Healing Potion: +30 Hit Points

Magic Ring: Evil Eye
Cost: 5 Endurance
Effect: Ranged attack that doesn't cause damage but enemy is blind (-3 penalty) for 2 rounds.

Magic Glove: The Hand of God
Cost: 10 Endurance
Effect: Ranged explosive attack (X5 damage), area attack x1, inaccurate. Also -1 to Agile while wearing it (heavy
Last edited by markodude on Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

But wait, there's more: a perhaps more elegant option (that works better with OVA 2nd edition) is using the combat related Central trait or Focused combat trait as the Attack value.

The sample character above has Soldier 3, so we consider him having Attack 3 (due to his training and/or equipment), and the same applies for characters whose central trait is combat related (martial artist, guard, samurai, knight, brigand, thug etc...)

The same thing if the character has a Focused combat trait, for example:

Central trait: Medic 3
Focused combat trait: Kung Fu 2
Side trait: Awareness 1

This is a sort of combat medic, he attacks and defends with 4D and inflicts damage x3 with his kung fu skills.

I think that this is fairly balanced, as combat related traits aren't that useful outside of combat: a Thief central trait can be used in many different situations (picking locks, sneaking, pickpocketing) compared to the Soldier trait.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

They don't have weapon traits in the new edition. It be easier just to give them attack ability separate like a normal character.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

Ok, then considering any broad trait as a package of 2/3 abilities should work perfectly:

central trait/profession: Soldier 3 (usable for Attack, Combat Expert, Tough)
side trait 1: Athletic 2 (usable for Evasive,Agile)
side trait 2: Gambling 1 (usable for Knowledge: games, Knowledge: gambling)
weakness: Lecherous -2

Central trait: Medic 3 (usable for Healer, Knowlegde: medicine, Knowledge: forensic)
Focused combat trait: Kung Fu 2 (usable for Attack, Combat Expert, Evasive)
Side trait: Awareness 1 (usable for Perceptive, Heightened Sense)
weakness: Pacifist -2
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

I kind of get what you're suggesting.

I think what you're looking to do is build a quick plug-in for minor NPCs, with a +3/+2/+1 spread in Abilities. Like how World of Darkness uses Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary to determine attributes.

The problem then becomes that both of your sample NPCs are +14/-2 (Attack +3, Combat Expert +3, Tough +3, Evasive +2, Agile +2, Knowledge: games +.05, Knowledge: gambling +0.5, Lecherous -2; Healer +3, Knowlegde: medicine +1.5, Knowledge: forensic +1.5, Attack+2, Combat Expert +2, Evasive+2, Perceptive +1, Heightened Sense +1, Pacifist -2), which doesn't quite work with the Rule Zero.

Now Rule Zero is optional, so if you want to group certain abilities as NPC skill groups, it shouldn't mess too much up, but it is a consideration that the total points would exceed a normal PCs points.

The book does suggest that Minions should not have a total of more than +1 or +2 (after adding together Abilities and Weaknesses), with very rare Abilities exceeding +2.

I like the idea of having just +3/+2/+1 spread of Abilities to plug in for quick NPC builds. Maybe build packages that total +3 or +2 or +1 instead of just blanketing all related Abilities at certain levels? This is pretty much the design of the NPC fragments.
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I think what you're looking to do is build a quick plug-in for minor NPCs, with a +3/+2/+1 spread in Abilities. Like how World of Darkness uses Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary to determine attributes.
More or less... have you read/played the WaRP rpg system? The Wanton Role-Playing System (used in Over the Edge), avaiable for free, it uses traits instead of OVA abilities, but it's quite similar: D6 dice pools, combat with opposing rolls and weapons that multiplicates the damage inflicted.

It's a simple system but I do not like the resolution mechanics (dice results are simply added) and I prefer OVA system, but the simplicity of the traits builds sometimes was really useful when creating Npcs that weren't planned.
The problem then becomes that both of your sample NPCs are +14/-2
This is a good point you're right. I usually build characters starting with +5/0, when not using the rule zero. So hindrances should be increased.
The book does suggest that Minions should not have a total of more than +1 or +2 (after adding together Abilities and Weaknesses), with very rare Abilities exceeding +2.
Correct, but I forgot to mention that I'm going to use them for a mystery/horror scenario, so these will be minor characters, not really faceless (and easily dispatched) minions.
Probably with Health/Endurance 20/20
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

I like the idea, it is pretty solid. Just maybe apply dx, health, or endurance modifiers as normal separate attributes to avoid confusion.

As for healing potions, Remember a player must lose all health AND endurance to be knocked out. Having played many OVA games, it does take a long time to knock out both without some really lucky rolls. Any sort of mid combat healing should have the ammo x 3 flaw and be very limited or the game will drag.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

If you’re simplifying attributes in this way, it may be worth simplifying damage/health/endurance in a similar fashion. For example, you could say the standard character can take four hits (whatever the hit is) before being put out of commission. Certain traits may increase or reduce this number of hits, but no trait really increases “damage.” You just hit more often.

You might even decide a threshold for “critical” hits, like exceeding your opponent’s roll by 5 or 10, and that will deal double hits.

(And yes, I discovered that OtE had used some of the same ideas I thought I had “invented” for OVA a couple of decades prior. Goes to show you nothing is original, I guess!)
markodude
Exalted Amphibian

Post by markodude »

I don't know, maybe it's a good idea but since I will use it for a sort of western/horror setting I'd avoid a "fixed" damage system (that would be otherwise perfect for a more lighthearted game). A variable damage (like in the official rules) with the possibility of one-shot death would be perfect.
I've to work on it, sure!

OtE is simpler but less versatile than OVA. Probably it works better with 1d5s (6 are considered 0) due to the wide difference between trait values. OVA dice pools works a lot better and it's more balanced.