OVA and RWBY

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

PirateKing
Shelled Plebeian

OVA and RWBY

Post by PirateKing »

So, With volume 4 coming out in October; I figured I would like to begin figuring out mechanics for a game beforehand. So, the thing I'm worried about the most is aura, with semblance following after. I think I might create a new track for it, and leave endurance alone. This is because it seems more like a force field of sorts and barrier doesn't seem like it'd work the way I feel it would. I could, however, just create an ability that ties into endurance and let the players weigh the benefits and drawbacks of using said endurance.

For semblance, I can easily see just using perks and flaws with a unique ability, with dust effects being affinities when used with semblances... but I dunno. I feel that cheapens it, although I can't really say why I feel that way.

What do you guys think? What about dust, and dust effects? It's common to use it, but maybe an ability for those who are better with it than others?
Tabulation
Worthy Tortoise

Re: OVA and RWBY

Post by Tabulation »

Hello,
I think that OVA work well with RWBY, it can retranscribe the craziness of RWBY perfectly.

For your questions,
First, Aura : We have to remember what is the aura. As you said it act as a shield, more like a barrier so the ability barrier work perfectly well for this fuction. Second it allow to self heal, so it can work with healer (flaw : self-only). Third, the Semblance is a a biproduct of the aura. But what is the difference between a aura gauge and an endurance gauge?
Second, the semblances. It can feel tricky with the system of OVA. Look ! Ruby's superspeed can be applied as a quick +5 plus scale advantage, same with Black's shade (it is shades alright?) with evasive instead. Qrow have a high leel of shapeshifter. Pyrrha have a telekinesis (flaw : requirement : metal). The problem with it it, is that the characters feel less unique.
For the dust problem, it doesn't necessary to have aura to use it. But it can amplify aura and/or semblance or something like that. But dust inside a weapon, it can work with a perk instead of the ammunition flaw. Or gear : attack (affinity : element, ammunition*whatever).

So I hope that it helped you.
PirateKing
Shelled Plebeian

Post by PirateKing »

So, I had written this awesome response, but it didn't post. So, here's the short version.

So, I checked out the wiki pages for RWBY, and rereading OVA again, Barrier would be perfect. I don't know why I thought it was more active than passive- I had apparently memorized the second half of the ability. How would you think I emulate aura depletion? I feel renaming endurance into aura would work, maybe Grimm and NPC's attack the aura first? Barrier wouldn't work without aura?

Healing seems more at rest like it usually does. Jaune was the only person we saw do that, and he wasn't doing anything.

I think Scale Advantage would work for semblance, at least, against people who aren't using it. When they are it's just a normal check, I would think. Unique Ability would help make semblance more...Unique. I actually haven't used Scale Advantage yet, so this might be a good idea, but may I ask why they make it feel less unique to you?

Dust actually requires aura, believe it or not. That being said, Gear would work well for that. I might make an ability for frequent dust users though.
Tabulation
Worthy Tortoise

Post by Tabulation »

Yeah... Now that you bring it out. Hunter have superhuman abilities because of aura. If they are out of aura, they are just mere human. So, what about a ability like :
Aura generation : Regain level point of endurance/aura per turn, Add a bonus of level for all physical feat.. If endurance/aura pool is empty, take a good rest.
Why do I think that semblance as a ability would make the characters less uniques?

It would make the semblance a line in a more or less organized list. If I remember correctly, Semblance is a power born from aura that is a manifestation of one's soul.
It have to be on a place of choice in the character sheet.

For the dust, I believe that all Ramnant technologies are powered by dust. Robot, CTS towers, cars, bullhog. And not everyone have their aura awakened. So I don't think that aura is necessary to use dust.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

RWBY is yet another one of those shows I SHOULD have watched, but haven’t. It gets brought up in the context of OVA a lot it seems, so perhaps I should act on that sooner than later.

While I have nothing to add without more knowledge of the show, there some discussion on two characters in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12535