Advice for a Newbie

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

WhyUWatchingThis
Shelled Plebeian

Advice for a Newbie

Post by WhyUWatchingThis »

Hey guys I'm new to this system and I just have some questions I find little tough to find in the book.
Is there a limit to the number of attacks you can have? if there is what is the limit and is there a cost associated if i want to limit more or increase it?
I'm not 100% sure on how to calculate roll and DX mostly wondering if the attack stats are based on the abilities it comes from?
Is there an calculation to know how much endurance is needed for an attack or does the PC and DM work something out?
I'm also not sure how to calculate TV for characters which I probably need if I want to create npcs. :P

Also any tips on being a DM for this system would be greatly appreciated.
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Advice for a Newbie

Post by Sabersonic »

Well when it comes to attacks, it's generally considered a general action and thus you can only do one per turn without incurring penalties. Said penalties are -1 die per extra action per dice check so if you try to navigate through a skyscraper in a fighter jet while firing missiles, it's -1 die to the Pilot dice check and another -1 for a successful hit for example. The specifics are probably off, but the general theory's still there.

Oh it depends upon the Perks and Flaw associated with that one attack variation. For example, you have an attack variation with Armor Piercing, which if not balanced out with a Flaw, it'll cost you 5 EP to use each time. Not sure about if the amount of Flaws puts the EP cost at a negative, but I always assume that it's 0 EP regardless.

As for calculating the TV of a character, both PC and NPC, it's found on p124 of the book.

In regards to tips of being an OVA2e GM in regards to my own experience as said GM, if you have your players face off a group of NPCs who are canon fodder, you don't need to do the whole combat rounds to resolve it. It just takes too long and doesn't become as exiting. Just do a simple skill roll or, better yet, do an Extended Action with the DN, required number of successful actions and minimal failed dice rolls if you want to put some tension and teamwork into said encounter.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
WhyUWatchingThis
Shelled Plebeian

Post by WhyUWatchingThis »

Sabersonic wrote:Well when it comes to attacks, it's generally considered a general action and thus you can only do one per turn without incurring penalties. Said penalties are -1 die per extra action per dice check so if you try to navigate through a skyscraper in a fighter jet while firing missiles, it's -1 die to the Pilot dice check and another -1 for a successful hit for example. The specifics are probably off, but the general theory's still there.
I meant on your character sheet how many attack options can you have
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Sabersonic »

Oh that! Well it's as many as one can handle to be completely honest. Though as Clay advised on the inquiry in a thread I cannot recall at the moment, a small amount is usually best. Typically around the four-or-five number.

EDIT: Found the thread, it was stupidly simple really considering the Topic name.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Thanks, Sabersonic! Yes, that thread has a pretty thorough answer about making Attacks.