Which bonuses I need to add to my throws

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

ItsStifler
Shelled Plebeian

Which bonuses I need to add to my throws

Post by ItsStifler »

Hello,
I've started to play OVA recently with my friends, SPACE type of adventure.
But in the Combats I am having alittle bit of a struggle, I don't know which bonuses I need to add to the Attack roles and to the Defenive role, because I don't know which of the abilties gives bonuses in the ATK/DEF roles and I don't know which weaknesses are giving penalties.
Can you please make me a list of all the abilties and weaknesses that gives bonuses in the attack roels and defensive roles, and if possbile do this on the DX because I don't know which abilties are giving more to your DX.

Another problem that I'm having is that I don't know how much Abilty points I need to give my players in the start of the adventure.
They are starting the adventure as kinda strong fighters, I gave them 20 points, is his good? or I need more/less?
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: Which bonuses I need to add to my throws

Post by Clay »

Actually, if you check out the pink-colored note boxes under each appropriate heading of the Combat chapter, the Abilities (and Weaknesses) you combine for the roll are clearly listed. It’s not necessarily an exhaustive list, but all the typical attributes used for Attack Rolls, Defense Rolls, and DX are given there.

As for Ability points, that really depends on what kind of game you’re trying to achieve and which limiting rule you have decided to use.

If the Base Zero rule suits you, you can sidestep the issue entirely because it is only based on the difference between Abilities and Weaknesses, instead of actually counting up the total of Abilities alone. If you want to use a different rule, some suggestions are given under their headings.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Which bonuses I need to add to my throws

Post by Malancthon »

There's just two Abilities each that add to attack and defense rolls.

For attack, there is Agile (used more for natural abilities to attack) and Combat Expert (used more for learned abilities to attack). Conversely, the Clumsy Weakness takes away from your attack roll.

For defense, there is Evasive (used more for learned abilities to defend) and Quick (used more for natural abilities to defend). Like with Clumsy, the Slow Weakness takes away from your defense roll.

There are also the Ability Perks of Accurate to increase your attack roll at the cost of Endurance and Defensive to increase your defense roll at the cost of Endurance (used more for specific attack requirements or for specific techniques). There is also the Ability Drawbacks of Inaccurate and Unwieldy that lowers your attack and defense roll, respectively, but lowers any Endurance costs for the attack, which is useful to balance out Endurance costs of an attack.

Attack is the Ability that increases your Damage Multiplier for any and all your attacks. Strong increases your Damage Multiplier for any attacks that uses your muscles (usually just melee or attacks with Ranged, Strength Powered Ability Perk). Weak is the Weakness that lowers your Damage Multiplier with attacks that uses your muscles. I don't think there is another Weakness that lowers your general Damage Multiplier, but there is the Ineffective Ability Flaw that lowers your Damage Multiplier, which also lowers the Endurance costs for an attack.

Basically, it doesn't really matter how many points the varied characters have, as long as the characters Abilities and Weaknesses balance out to within 5 points, they should be all balanced to each other. So one person could have +12/-7 Abilities/Weaknesses, another could be +11/-16, a third have +20/-15, and the last could have +28/-33; and still be considered a 'balanced' selection of characters.

Personally, in practice I find having about 15 points, give or take, in Abilities is a good starting amount. 20 points in Abilities would be fairly experienced characters, and 25-30 points in Abilities would be very powerful characters.