Kingdom Hearts?

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

PirateKing
Shelled Plebeian

Kingdom Hearts?

Post by PirateKing »

So, I'm planning on running a kingdom hearts style game; and I was stuck as to how I would build a Keyblade. I was thinking of using Gear to emulate how powerful it is, but I also have some players wanting to dual wield and change keychains, which changes the Keyblades abilities as well. So, for those more experienced, how would I build this?
Roswynn d'Cannith
Worthy Tortoise

Re: Kingdom Hearts?

Post by Roswynn d'Cannith »

As an array of Attacks, I would say.

OK, I ain't played Kingdom Hearts, I'm sorry, but:

You assign a character the Attack Ability, any level from +1 (good) to +3 (masterful) should be fine for starter characters.

Then you build an Attack with the Weapon Flaw, which gives a -5 Endurance. That gives you a discount of 5 Endurance on the Attack Perks you wanna give the attack, plus you can still add other Flaws to diminish the Endurance expenditure further.

And then you build other Attacks to simulate different keychains, and even dual-wielding can be modeled with an Attack.

You give all these Attacks an Affinity which makes them more effective vs Heartless and similar enemies, don't know what kind of Affinity that would be, honestly. "Heart"? The fact Heartless can perceive the Keyblades can either be a simple narrative device, or even better an Ability the Heartless have, maybe a Unique Ability, check the list and see if something could work.

Extending the Keyblade can be achieved with the Reach or even the Range Perks, and for final attacks you can add Finisher.

Changing Keychain will give you a different Attack, with different Abilities & Flaws.

Do you think it could work?
*Truth is, takes many crystals to make something shine*
MarthWMaster
Shelled Plebeian

Post by MarthWMaster »

Also don't forget the Keyblade's primary function: the ability to unlock worlds.

(Okay, that can probably be a narrative quality as well, but I just like how "big" that power sounds.)
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

As a general rule, dual wielding is for “cool factor” alone. Regardless of whether a character has two (or three in Zoro/Zolo’s case) weapons, that character still gets the same number of actions, the same rolls, etc.

Of course, you can pick perks and flaws that seem appropriate to a character wielding two weapons, but there’s no inherent benefit simply from having those two weapons.

Regarding the keychains, using Gear seems fine enough. Just create each key separately and only allow characters to equip one at a time. Of course, if you would like characters to be able to hotswap keys in a manner that I THINK I remember you could do in the games, just make them separate attacks under a single Attack Ability. This is probably a much simpler solution if you don’t want the characters to pick a single key/keychain and stick with it for a given adventure.