Freeze Time

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

metabolicjosh
Shelled Plebeian

Freeze Time

Post by metabolicjosh »

So... Freeze Time 1 doesn't actually make it easier to take multiple actions, does it? Unless i'm mistaken, the benefit of activating the ability is canceled by the fact that you take an action to do so?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Re: Freeze Time

Post by Malancthon »

It does help.

Page 108 tells you that you can do multiple actions in a turn, but you suffer a dice penalty equal to the number of extra actions you want to take. Time Freeze offsets the penalty by it's level.

So if you wanted to do 2 actions in your turn, you would normally suffer a -2 dice penalty to all your rolls for that turn. If you have Time Freeze level 1, you would only suffer a -1 dice penalty. And if you had Time Freeze level 2, you suffer no penalties for taking two actions a turn.
metabolicjosh
Shelled Plebeian

Post by metabolicjosh »

But don't you have to use an action to use the ability? You'd be rolling the same amount of dice at level one of the ability, compared to when you don't have the ability, because of the cost of activating the ability.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Considering the effect is of adding dice to your roll of a speed or quickness action doesn't imply it being a multiple action, I'd say using Time Freeze on yourself for the bonus dice or offsetting Multiple Action penalties would be considered a Free Action (see page 104).

Using Time Freeze on another person to inflict the penalty on them would probably be a normal action, though.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Time Freeze comes off as a little more ambiguous than I’d like. To summarize it more simply:

Outside of combat, you can get a free bonus to your next action or free penalty to others’ next action equal to your Level in Time Freeze.

In Combat, Time Freeze +1 is a little useless for using it on yourself, but you if you apply it to your opponents, you are effectively giving every one else a -1 Penalty by giving yourself a -1 Penalty. With a lot of combatants, that can be useful. Or you could just wait till your next turn at take advantage of the full bonus.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

In short, always Take TIME FREEZE at +2 or higher. Seriously, the ability to manipulate time is not where you want to skimp on points.
Blobathehutt
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Blobathehutt »

When it says "you gain an equivalent bonus in all test of speed and quickness." What does it mean? Would you get a bonus to attack and defense?
You are who you chose to be.

If you like D&D please check out my Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Dungeonmasterbloba

If you like RPGmaker games please come check mine out ;)
Indie DB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mists-of-epsilon
Zulmen
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Zulmen »

Hey everyone. I have 2 questions about time freeze.

1) Time Freeze only works on one opponent per use correct?

2) Can you use time freeze to give penalties to a target and use an attack on them in the same turn?
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Blobathehutt wrote:When it says "you gain an equivalent bonus in all test of speed and quickness." What does it mean? Would you get a bonus to attack and defense?
Right, if you use Time Freeze on yourself, you'd get bonus dice to your Attack and Defense equal to your level of Time Freeze. So with Time Freeze 1, you could activate it on yourself and gain a +1 bonus to your Defense score. If you activate it and attack, you'd suffer a -1 penalty (instead of -2 penalty for Multiple Actions) for doing two actions in your turn, so it's not really worth activating the ability and attacking until you have Time Freeze 2. However, you could use it to slow your opponents. With Time Freeze 1, you could activate it to give all your opponents a -1 penalty to Attack and Defense. If you activate the ability and attack, you'd also suffer a -1 penalty to your rolls, which again puts you all on an equal, albeit diminished, footing. So that might be useful to have if you are with a team (slow your opponents to debuff them and let your allies have the advantage).

So yeah, I'd have to agree with Sniffycrab from before that Time Freeze 2 or more is the better option.
Zulmen wrote:Hey everyone. I have 2 questions about time freeze.

1) Time Freeze only works on one opponent per use correct?

2) Can you use time freeze to give penalties to a target and use an attack on them in the same turn?
1) The ability does say opponents, so I'd say it'd blanket the field and let you use it on any opponent you are fighting. Clay also says the ability could be useful when there are a lot of combatants.

2) Yeah, but since that would be doing two actions (activating the ability and attacking), you'd again want +2 or more to offset the penalties.

I take back My earlier assessment that using Time Freeze could be a free action. Getting a buff or debuff to both Attack and Defense rolls is pretty powerful, so having it balanced out with using an action seems appropriate.
Zulmen
Shelled Plebeian

Post by Zulmen »

Thank you very much for the reply Malancthon
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

In short, it's like a combination of Agile and Quick, in regards of what uses outside of combat Time Freeze has.

Also, food for thought. With Multiple Actions, you receive a penalty depending on the number of number of actions you make. For example, if you want to do two actions for your turn, it'd be -2 dice penalty. Conversely, doing five actions for your turn is -5. With Time Freeze 5, you could do two actions with a +3 bonus, three actions with a +2 bonus, four actions with a +1 bonus, or five actions with no penalty. That's fairly impressive, and something to think about while deciding how you want to use Time Freeze.