#Pokemon20 Ash & Misty

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

MarthWMaster
Shelled Plebeian

#Pokemon20 Ash & Misty

Post by MarthWMaster »

Happy Pokémon Day! In honor of the 20th anniversary celebration, I decided to draw up stats for Ash and Misty as they were in the opening chapters of the anime series. Brock will come later, once these two have made their way through the Viridian Forest. Enjoy!

ASH
Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town dreams of becoming a Pokémon Master. Unfortunately, on the night before he was to claim his starter Pokémon from Professor Oak, he accidentally broke his alarm clock in his sleep, causing him to oversleep and miss out on the three beloved starters: Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur. All was not lost, however, as the Professor had in his possession a fourth Pokémon, the stubborn and volatile Pikachu. Times were hard for Ash early on, as Pikachu ignored his commands. But when the young Trainer put himself in harm's way to protect his companion from a flight of angry Spearows, Pikachu chose to save his master, forming a close bond between the two that will never be broken.

Abilities
+2 Agile
+4 Companion (Pikachu)
+2 Dexterous
+3 Iron-Willed
+1 Knowledge (Pokémon)
+3 Passion (Pokémon Trainer)
+1 Resistance (Electricity)
+1 Strong

Weaknesses
-1 Ageism
-2 Code of Conduct (Pokémon League rules)
-1 Dense
-1 Easily Distracted
-2 Kind-Hearted
-1 Overconfident
-3 Rival (Gary)
-1 Stubborn

Ash's Attacks & Combat Stats
Twig Attack
Affinity: Grass
Roll: 4
DX: 2
End: 0

Stone's Throw
Ranged; Affinity: Rock
End: 5

Defense: 2
Health: 40
Endurance: 40
TV: 6

PIKACHU
Abilities
+2 Agile
+2 Attack
+1 Cute!
+2 Evasive
+1 Iron-Willed
+2 Quick

Weaknesses
-1 Mute
-1 Quirk (Hates being inside Pokéball)
-1 Short-Tempered
-1 Stubborn
-2 Vulnerability (Ground-type attacks)

Pikachu's Attacks & Combat Stats
Thundershock
Effective; Paralyzing; Ranged; Affinity: Electricity
Roll: 6
End: 10

Quick Attack
DX: 1
Note: Not to be confused with Fenrir's Quick Attack.

Defense: 6
Health: 20
Endurance: 20
TV: 14

MISTY
A Pokémon Trainer who specializes in Water Pokémon, Misty was minding her own business fishing in the stream on Route 1 when, fleeing from the abovementioned Spearows, Ash "borrowed" her bike, which was burned to a crisp in the aftermath of Pikachu's Thundershock. Despite being the Cerulean City Gym Leader, Misty is determined to get Ash to pay her back for the destroyed bike, which means she will have to leave management of the gym to her sisters in the meantime.

Abilities
+2 Agile
+1 Combat Expert
+2 Companion (Staryu)
+1 Dexterous
+1 Dimensional Pocket
+2 Intimidating
+1 Knowledge (Pokémon)
+1 Perceptive
+1 Quick

Weaknesses
-1 Fear (Bugs)
-1 Restricted Freedom (Gym Leader)
-1 Sensitivity (Appearance)
-1 Short-Tempered
-1 Soft Spot (Cute Pokémon)

Misty's Attacks & Combat Stats
Rough Up
Effective

Defense: 3
TV: 9

STARYU
Abilities
+1 Attack
+1 Beautiful
+1 Flight
+2 Quick
+1 Tough

Weaknesses
-2 Mute
-2 Vulnerability (Electric-type attacks)

Staryu's Attacks & Combat Stats
Swift
Accurate; Low Penetration
Roll: 3

Water Gun
Barrier Buster; Effective; Affinity: Water

Defense: 4
Health: 30
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Re: #Pokemon20 Ash & Misty

Post by Clay »

Thanks for sharing these! It’s definitely a great way to celebrate 20 years of Pokémon. I was a huge fan during the original Red/Blue generation, buying all the games and comics and so on I could get my hands on. Over the years my participation has waned, but I still love the franchise.

Some trivia for you, some of the earliest drafts of OVA’s dice mechanic (before I had the intention of making a generic anime RPG) were for a hypothetical Pokémon RPG! It used d10s instead of the d6s we’re all familiar with, but nonetheless it was the first time I conceptualized the whole matching like dice mechanic.

There are quite a few easter eggs referencing Pokémon on Yuu’s character pages. As you noticed, Fenrir’s Quick Attack is an homage to Pikachu’s move of the same name, while Yuu’s “Struggle” is a reference to the move used by Pokemon when they are out of PP. And Yuu’s birthday? That’s also the day Pokémon was released in the US!
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

You completely nailed it MarthWMaster. Good Job!
MarthWMaster
Shelled Plebeian

Post by MarthWMaster »

Thanks! I should really get around to adding a few. I've been so busy with real-life RPG-related stuff that I'd forgotten all about this post.

I really want to try doing characters from a few more of my favorite series and games, just out of appreciation for the game's flexibility.
The Reddest Mage
Worthy Tortoise

Post by The Reddest Mage »

MarthWMaster wrote:Happy Pokémon Day! In honor of the 20th anniversary celebration, I decided to draw up stats for Ash and Misty as they were in the opening chapters of the anime series. Brock will come later, once these two have made their way through the Viridian Forest. Enjoy!

ASH
Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town dreams of becoming a Pokémon Master. Unfortunately, on the night before he was to claim his starter Pokémon from Professor Oak, he accidentally broke his alarm clock in his sleep, causing him to oversleep and miss out on the three beloved starters: Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur. All was not lost, however, as the Professor had in his possession a fourth Pokémon, the stubborn and volatile Pikachu. Times were hard for Ash early on, as Pikachu ignored his commands. But when the young Trainer put himself in harm's way to protect his companion from a flight of angry Spearows, Pikachu chose to save his master, forming a close bond between the two that will never be broken.

Abilities
+2 Agile
+4 Companion (Pikachu)
+2 Dexterous
+3 Iron-Willed
+1 Knowledge (Pokémon)
+3 Passion (Pokémon Trainer)
+1 Resistance (Electricity)
+1 Strong

Weaknesses
-1 Ageism
-1 Dense
-1 Easily Distracted
-2 Kind-Hearted
-1 Overconfident
-3 Rival (Gary)
-1 Stubborn

Ash's Attacks & Combat Stats
Twig Attack
Affinity: Grass

Stone's Throw
Ranged; Affinity: Rock

Defense: 2

PIKACHU
Abilities
+2 Agile
+2 Attack
+1 Cute!
+2 Evasive
+1 Iron-Willed
+2 Quick

Weaknesses
-1 Mute
-1 Quirk (Hates being inside Pokéball)
-1 Short-Tempered
-1 Stubborn
-2 Vulnerability (Ground-type attacks)

Pikachu's Attacks & Combat Stats
Thundershock
Effective; Paralyzing; Ranged; Affinity: Electricity

Quick Attack
Note: Not to be confused with Fenrir's Quick Attack.

Defense: 6
Health: 20
TV: 14

MISTY
A Pokémon Trainer who specializes in Water Pokémon, Misty was minding her own business fishing in the stream on Route 1 when, fleeing from the abovementioned Spearows, Ash "borrowed" her bike, which was burned to a crisp in the aftermath of Pikachu's Thundershock. Despite being the Cerulean City Gym Leader, Misty is determined to get Ash to pay her back for the destroyed bike, which means she will have to leave management of the gym to her sisters in the meantime.

Abilities
+2 Agile
+1 Combat Expert
+2 Companion (Staryu)
+1 Dexterous
+1 Dimensional Pocket
+2 Intimidating
+1 Knowledge (Pokémon)
+1 Perceptive
+1 Quick

Weaknesses
-1 Fear (Bugs)
-1 Restricted Freedom (Gym Leader)
-1 Sensitivity (Appearance)
-1 Short-Tempered
-1 Soft Spot (Cute Pokémon)

Misty's Attacks & Combat Stats
Rough Up
Effective

Defense: 3
TV: 9

STARYU
Abilities
+1 Attack
+1 Beautiful
+1 Flight
+2 Quick
+1 Tough

Weaknesses
-2 Mute
-2 Vulnerability (Electric-type attacks)

Staryu's Attacks & Combat Stats
Swift
Accurate; Low Penetration

Water Gun
Barrier Buster; Effective; Affinity: Water

Defense: 4
Health: 30
Very nice. The only thing I'd mention is that I don't think kids in the Pokemon world would have the Ageism Weakness. Basically, by the time they're ten or so they're treated as adults for all purposes: they can leave home to travel the world, don't need to go to school, do not require parental supervision, can compete against adults and be taken seriously as a worthy adversary, and compete in national tournaments against adults. Pokemon trainers are taken seriously based more on their skill rather than their age, so I don't think being a kid ever really hinders or causes any inconveniences for Pokemon trainers.
sniffycrab
Exalted Amphibian

Post by sniffycrab »

I contest that Reddest Mage. Granted when it comes to Pokemon, kids are treated equal as adults in the show. But they still suffer AGEISM in other mundane areas. I doubt they would allow Ash or Misty to rent a car or buy beer. While I never watched the show that much, -1 Ageism is a very minor flaw that comes up once in a while. So I think it fits.
Malancthon
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Malancthon »

Like everybody else says, I think you nailed them quite well.

Only thing I noticed is you have Knowledge +1 for both Ash and Misty. The book does encourage to allow Knowledges to cost half the points (round up). So you can keep Knowledge at +1 or increase them to +2 (or add another Knowledge +1) for the same total point value.
The Reddest Mage
Worthy Tortoise

Post by The Reddest Mage »

sniffycrab wrote:I contest that Reddest Mage. Granted when it comes to Pokemon, kids are treated equal as adults in the show. But they still suffer AGEISM in other mundane areas. I doubt they would allow Ash or Misty to rent a car or buy beer. While I never watched the show that much, -1 Ageism is a very minor flaw that comes up once in a while. So I think it fits.
Forgive the late reply, I don't check this forum as often as I used to. But to respond to your examples, renting a car is largely unnecessary for a child in the Pokémon world seeing as Pokémon are routinely used as modes of transportation on land, through the air, and in water by trainers.

As for alcohol, I still don't see that as inhibiting since we're talking about a kids show where even the adults are almost never (if at all) ever shown indulging in alcohol. It would be more of a limitation in a show featuring an older cast where going to the bar or having drinks was a regular thing that a kid character was left out of but wanted to join in on. But in the Pokémon world I don't see that as something that's holding the characters back since they never show any desire to want to drink alcohol anyway. In the real world, kids and teens drink beer to be cool. In the Pokémon world, teens probably train Gyarados or join Team Rocket to be cool.

Basically I just tend to think Weaknesses should only apply if they generally present difficulties for the character. I just can't think of any examples from the games or the animated series where being a pre-teen or teen trainer in the Pokémon world has caused them to deal with any kinds of limitations or discrimination that would affect their usual activities.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Or if Ageism did come into play, you would be creating a world rather different from the default Pokémon fare. Which is okay, too! But I think for the sake of a generic OVA writeup, age would be a non-issue. (If anything, ageism might work in reverse. Almost all of the adults in the Pokémon universe are relegated to secondary roles while the kids drive the story, catch the pokémon, and so on.)