How to do Firearms

Discuss rule quandaries, supplements, or anything else OVA related here.

Moderators: Clay, Jade

demonskunk
Shelled Plebeian

How to do Firearms

Post by demonskunk »

Hey, I'm running an OVA game, and I'm not really sure how to handle firearms?

I thought that the "Ammunition" ability would work for it, but it doesn't really work well, since you can't 'reload' the weapon easily after shooting a set number of times, only after "A large amount of time has passed"

But at the same time, the "Activation" ability makes more sense for something like a cross bow or a bolt action rifle - where you have to reload after every shot.

I'm not sure what to do for something like a revolver that has 6 shots before a reload. Any advice?
Sabersonic
Exalted Amphibian

Re: How to do Firearms

Post by Sabersonic »

The only suggestion I can give on the subject at hand is to point you to Clay's own words on the matter.
Get your Portable ID!

Though he may have his flaws and faults, he was a husband and a father without equal. May the Angels welcome and accept him with open arms.

Rest in Peace, Dad
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

In case you don't want to dig through the thread, the short story is Ammunition is not a flaw most gun fighters will use. They always have enough bullets, and when they run out of bullets, it's more likely to be the result of a Complication than any tally the Player is keeping up with. At best, you may want to make a Requirement that forces the player to reload every few rounds. (Sort of like Activation, but only worth -5 Endurance for the decreased frequency.)
Chris Brady
Exalted Amphibian

Post by Chris Brady »

Yeah, Ammunition is badly named for what it intends to do.
"And now my friends, a Dragon's Toast! To life's little blessings; wars, plagues and all forms of evil. Their presence keeps us alert-- And their absence keeps us grateful!" - T.A. Barron
demonskunk
Shelled Plebeian

Post by demonskunk »

I had a read through it, and yeah it kinda makes sense.
You could also just flavor it that you're using multiple bullets when you attack, not shooting just once.
Clay
Dangerously Sane

Post by Clay »

Definitely! Never be afraid to flavor attacks and Abilities how you want to. If you want your character to fire six bullets in a single attack, that’s perfectly fine. (In fact, the Perk Overwhelming heavily implies your attack is actually many in the span of a second.